Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st September 2006, 02:20

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road
Walter Oesau

Good evening, ladies and gents.

I'm looking for some information on Walter "Gulle" Oesau, specifically his personality and his life outside the Luftwaffe - family, siblings, wife, children.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 21st September 2006, 06:30

leonventer is on a distinguished road
Re: Walter Oesau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baroness
I'm looking for some information on Walter "Gulle" Oesau, specifically his personality and his life outside the Luftwaffe - family, siblings, wife, children.
Regarding Oesau's personality, the best resource is Paul Skawran's book, "Ikaros: Persönlichkeit und Wesen des deutschen Jagdfliegers im Zweiten Weltkrieg".

During the war, Skawran interviewed and spent time with many of the pilots he describes in the book. He divides them up into six broad categories, some of which have sub-categories. Oesau features prominently in the book because he epitomizes the "kraftvolle Kämpfer" (i.e. the vibrant/vigorous/powerful fighter) type.

In a nutshell, Oesau was physically strong, energetic, outspoken, aggressive, confident and proud, but also very protective and fatherly toward his wingmen. He was a master of his machine, sure and unhurried in his movements, fearless and nerveless, and he ate and slept well. It appears that he didn't have much regard for paperwork and formality, but he aspired to "Herrentum" (in Oesau's case, this meant a dedication to honor, duty, responsibility, discipline and comradeship.) No mention of his personal life or family, unfortunately.

Oesau apparently wrote an autobiography, but it was never published (Skawran lists it in his bibliography.)

The only other significant book on Oesau that I'm aware of is a wartime publication named "Oesau". It's a softcover book of about 50 pages, similar to one that was published about Mölders.

Lastly, there ought to be some information on Oesau in Jägerblatt, but I don't know which issues offhand. Others might know more...

Hope that helps a bit,
Leon Venter
Old 21st September 2006, 08:14
Alter Hase

CJE

There are also some interesting and sometimes funny stories about him written by a JG 2 mechanics in a few early issues of Luftwaffe Verband.
Old 21st September 2006, 15:44

sveahk

You'll find more about his last fight here:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=3168

Hans
Old 21st September 2006, 22:37

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all that replied. I was hoping to find some information on his personal life, and since my German is sadly very limited, as are my funds, internet research is about all I can afford to do at the moment.

I really appreciate your help, all of you. My first thought when I need good solid information on the Luftwaffe is coming here to ask questions. Perhaps one of these days, I can too be one that provides information!

Regards,

Cori

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography