Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th May 2022, 02:36

NickM
JG27 Pilot Alfred Neiderhofer

Gang,

I was rereading the first volume of Shores and Co's Med Air War and I noticed a photo purporting to be a JG27 pilot named Alfred Neiderhofer (wearing sunglasses and all)---except, dang me if he doesn't look like H. J. Marseilles. Can anybody provide a picture of Neiderhofer, and that it was simply a minor "typo"? Or was Neidehofer, in fact, virtually a Marseilles 'twin'?

Thanks ahead of time.

NM
Old 13th May 2022, 18:47
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: JG27 Pilot Alfred Neiderhofer

Hello Nick,

photos of Fw Hans Niederhöfer are published in the old chronicles of II./JG 27 (pages 201 and 218) and III. and IV./JG 27 (page 275), in Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 8/I (pages 239 and 258) and Vol. 11/I (page 250). There is no resemblance to Marseille recognizable.
Without permission of the authors (Prien, Stemmer, Rodeike, Bock) it is not allowed to reproduce the photos.

Regards
Leo
Old 14th May 2022, 07:41

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottler View Post
Hello Nick,

photos of Fw Hans Niederhöfer are published in the old chronicles of II./JG 27 (pages 201 and 218) and III. and IV./JG 27 (page 275), in Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 8/I (pages 239 and 258) and Vol. 11/I (page 250). There is no resemblance to Marseille recognizable.
Without permission of the authors (Prien, Stemmer, Rodeike, Bock) it is not allowed to reproduce the photos.

Regards
Leo

Fair enough! I'm fine, knowing it's a minor error.
Old 14th May 2022, 11:33
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

The photo referred to on page 218 in the II./JG 27 book is the same one of Niederhöfer as is published in MAW Vol 1 (page 358), meaning Prien et al in such a case have made the same mistake....

To be honest I don't think the man in the photo looks very much like Marseille at all, but that is just my opinion.

Cheers
Stig
Old 14th May 2022, 13:22

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Stig,
what mistake have I made with respect to Hans Niederhöfer - in JG 27 II, p 218 he is shown by his correct name whereas MAW is not my work ?

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 14th May 2022, 14:55
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hi Jochen

Personally I don't think neither you nor Shores et al have made a mistake.
You say the photo on page 218 in your II./JG 27 book shows Niederhöfer and so says MAW Vol 1 on page 358. That is also what I am pointing out.

As you can see I don't even think the man in that photo actually looks like Marseille. But I also know how difficult it can be to identify individuals from photos, and I am not any expert in doing so!

Also if you read further up, it is Nick M who believes the photo shows Marseille and not Niederhöfer.

If you and your colleagues are certain that the photo is of Niederhöfer, it works for me (and hopefully for Nick M as well)

Cheers
Stig
Old 15th May 2022, 05:57

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Hi Jochen

Personally I don't think neither you nor Shores et al have made a mistake.
You say the photo on page 218 in your II./JG 27 book shows Niederhöfer and so says MAW Vol 1 on page 358. That is also what I am pointing out.

As you can see I don't even think the man in that photo actually looks like Marseille. But I also know how difficult it can be to identify individuals from photos, and I am not any expert in doing so!

Also if you read further up, it is Nick M who believes the photo shows Marseille and not Niederhöfer.

If you and your colleagues are certain that the photo is of Niederhöfer, it works for me (and hopefully for Nick M as well)

Cheers
Stig

Well the caption does say Niederhofer was the pilot in the phot, wearing the sunglasses;