Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 28th January 2016, 00:21
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Fighter Command's Air War 1941: RAF Circus Operations and Fighter Sweeps Against the Luftwaffe

Scheduled for May 19.

http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Comman...ords=luftwaffe

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 8th February 2016, 08:15
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fighter Command's Air War 1941: RAF Circus Operations and Fighter Sweeps Against the Luftwaffe

What a dreadful cover.......
Old 8th February 2016, 19:04
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Fighter Command's Air War 1941: RAF Circus Operations and Fighter Sweeps Against the Luftwaffe

Hi Chris,

Having been in the book publishing business for some time (fiction), a very good cover makes potential customers pick up the book, if not actually buy it. I realize cost-cutting is occurring everywhere but there are people who specialize in book cover design.

Best,
Ed
Old 8th February 2016, 22:09
Alter Hase

...but as a historian & published author myself, I would hope that any of my book covers would be historically accurate, not how many aircraft of varying types flying in all sorts of directions can be crammed in!
Old 9th February 2016, 23:40

Stephen M. Fochuk is on a distinguished road

And post-war looking too!
Old 11th February 2016, 19:00
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Not sure what 'post-war' means....

All I can see are Spits, Bf 109 and Blenheims.
While many of 'Dogsbodies' claims are dubious I am equally certain he did his best....under the circumstances. He was very ambitious, but on the other hand he had two very good reasons for that.....

I can also see what Chris means, but it is very difficult in my mind to portrait anything near what a combat scene would look like. A hit and run tactic is quite difficult to picture. Anyone who tried taking photos while doing it??

Anyway 1941 - 1942 - 1943 are very much the forgotten years when it comes to the RAF. It took the USAAF to tip the balance. Hopefully Norman has done his homework and hopefully there are 1942 and 1943 in the pipeline as well.

I for one, look very much forward to get more details regarding these crucial years on the western front.

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th February 2016, 20:28
Alter Hase

The intention was a balanced view of 1941 operations but believe that this now majors purely on the RAF side. I am not sure if 1942-3 are considered as follow on volumes-it was intended to be a bigger book but co-authors could not commit, mores the pity
Old 11th February 2016, 20:35
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Well Chris. I suppose little is better than nothing...

Anyway I will very much settle with the RAF side of things for now, since I have extremely little written about it as it is.

Pity not 1942-43 will show up, but who knows?

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th February 2016, 21:38
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hi Stig,

As you know, there are unit histories out there and books about various operations during 1942-1943, so I hope some author(s) out there could build on that. (And just a hint to any publishers who might be reading.)

Ed
Old 14th February 2016, 12:07

wanganui is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Chris & others regarding the cover art of this book, as a central London based book seller i'm seeing publishers bring back this 1970's style artwork which does nothing to draw in a potential buyer.
I look forward to viewing the book on release & yes it does fill a gap in the market regarding the RAF's period of operation. And i'm sure those that do buy it will source it from your local independent bookshop or publishers & not from a South American river!!