Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd July 2006, 13:30

Flyer1767 is on a distinguished road
Vintage Flying Helmet

Dear All,

Have found your website recently and wonder if you can help me.

I am writing from Australia, and last year my parents purchased a WWII RAF flying helmet for me on ebay as a Christmas present.

I wish to track down the origins of this helmet for display purposes etc and have been looking over the internet to get a start. The helmet is in exceptional condition and has the following markings inside:-

"S" SQDN

AID (alpha India delta) or possibly ALD (alpha lima delta)

218 – This is a little illegible and we think it could be 218 or perhaps 213

It was made by Frank Bryan Ltd – 1939

I want to find out from which squadron this helmet originated and even better which aviator it belonged to. Do these markings mean anything to anyone and can you suggest how we should best go about tracing these details further.

I thank you in advance for your help and would look forward to hearing form you soon.

Kind Regards,
Flyer1767