Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th April 2012, 01:37
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Info for EoE color profile of Bf110D-0 of Uffz. Heinz Fresia of 2./ZG76, circa summer-early fall, 1940

Hello,

In trying to put together the Bf110 profile packages for I./ZG76, I'm trying to gather enough info to do the a/c of Uffz. Heinz Fresia. I have at least two photos of a Bf110D-0, M8+MK, one of which shows a large drop tank under the fuselage midline, along with the 2./ZG76 ladybird/ladybug insignia on the nose. These were both probably taken in Norway sometime between the late spring and early fall of 1940 (June-Oct time frame). There is a W.Nr. in white on the rear fuselage, but it isn't readable, although it probably begins with a 3XXX. One shot is from the starboard side and, besides the code M8+MK and the unreadable W.Nr., this a/c appears to have 2-3 white victory tabs on the fin. In the other photo, the scoreboard area is obscured by a wing. Fresia was credited with two Wellingtons on 18.12.39, and four Blenheims on 09.07.40, for a total of six. However, two of the latter were apparently disallowed, so I don't know if the victory scoreboard on his tail would total four or six. I want to use this profile to represent Sept., 1940.

If anyone has any photos of this a/c, including a readable W.Nr. and the victory scoreboard, please contact me. I'd also appreciate confirmation that Uffz Fresia piloted M8+MK during this period. My source for the association of the M8+MK with Fresia is "The Messserschmitt Bf110 an Allen Fronten" by Nauroth and Held P. 96.

One other issue is the identity of his regular gunner. Fresia was involved in a crash-landing on 2 March 1940, resulting in injuries to himself and his BF, Gefr Ludwig Barnstorf. Did Barnstorf recover and continue as Fresia's regular gunner? Did Barnstorf score any victories which might be reflected on the aircraft scoreboard?

Hope someone can help.

Regards,