Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th October 2015, 17:47

FhilSVK is on a distinguished road
Question Dnepropetrovsk 1941

Gentlemen,

I´m new on this site and the forum. I´m researching the battle for Dnepropetrovsk in the August/September of 1941. So far, I was able to identify all ground units from both sides, but the questions is the air ´part´.

It was 1.PzGr that was attacking the city with it´s III.AK(mot.), using three panzer divisions. The battle for the city was very bloody on both sides, looks like it´s a pretty forgotten battle.

I know that the 1.PzGr was supported by V. Fliegerkorps from Luftflotte 4. It´s no problem to find the OOB of the V.Fliegerkorps.

My question is, if anyone knows - does any of it´s KGs supported the attack on this city by the end of August? (I think it´s KG 51, 54 and 55). So far I was not able to find any relevant information whether the III.AK(mot.) was supported from the air during it´s attack on the city (21.8. - 27.8.) or not at all. I know that in September there were some Italian fighters shooting down Russian bombers above the city, but nothing regarding Luftwaffe´s role in this area and time..Anyone got some info?

Filip
Old 8th October 2015, 13:35
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road
Re: Dnepropetrovsk 1941

Hi,

II./KG54 targets were:
August 16th to 21st 1941: railway targets, troops & convoys west of Dnjepropetrowsk & in the Neshin area
August 23rd & 24th 1941: Troops & fortifications near Janow
August 25th 1941: Troops near Kosatschewka
August 26th & 27th 1941: Troops & convoys east of Dnjepropetrowsk & on the road to Nowomoskowsk

Source: Radtke's book on KG 54.

I have nothing on the other KG's

Regards,
Rudi.
Old 8th October 2015, 21:27

FhilSVK is on a distinguished road
Re: Dnepropetrovsk 1941

That means that at least the II.KG/54 was operating in this area during the time. Thank you very much!!

Filip