Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd November 2009, 03:24

Tom Semenza
The Curious Case of the NSFK Ace

Last October I started a thread concerning the purported NSFK (Nationalsozialistisches Flieger Korps) ace Stürmführer Willi Strübing. I first found mention of him in Caldwell & Muller's Luftwaffe Over Germany.

Don Caldwell made reference to a book by Kenneth K. Blyth called Who Shot Down EQ-Queenie (Fenestra Books, 2004.) In this latter, the author, who was a pilot in No. 408 Sqn. RCAF, related his search for the Me 262 pilot who shot down his Halifax just south of Hamburg during a daylight mission on 31 March 1945. I have excerpted the 4 pages from the book which concern Willi Strübing.

In Sept. 2000, Blyth went back to where his plane went down, the town of Bergedorf, and through notices posted in the local paper, Bergedorfer-Zeitung, found a most remarkable answer to his quest. A man named Detlof Mohr came to the newspaper offices with documentaion showing that his uncle, Willi Strübing, was most likely the pilot who shot down Blyth's Halifax.

In 1945, Strübing was a 53-year old instructor with the rank of Sturmführer (equivalent to a Leutnant) in the NSFK unit Sturm 5 based at Bergedorf. He had previously tried to join the Luftwaffe but was rejected as too old. He had been a pilot during the First World War although apparently only in a training capacity. Remarkably he had an armed Me 262 at his disposal for one-man missions against Allied air incursions in the area of Bergedorf. Blyth's Halifax was Strübing's 25th Abschuß!

The document shown on page 2 below is a letter to Strübing dated 11.04.45 from the Standartenführer of NSFK Standarte 15 in Hamburg. In essence it states that in recognition of his 24th and 25th victories on 31.03.45 as well as his constant mission readiness and devotion to the welfare of the Reich, he had been nominated to receive the Ritterkreuz. Apparently he did not actually receive the RK due to the end of the war coming less than a month later.

The main reason for this posting is the hope that some researcher(s) in Germany would be interested in pursuing this very interesting case and digging up more information on Strübing's unusual career. Perhaps there were also other NSFK pilots who went on combat missions.

I realize that this is outside of their area of study since the NSFK was not part of the Luftwaffe, but Jochen Prien's group would seem like logical candidates to pursue the matter. For one thing Bergedorf is right next to Hamburg, for another it would make for an extremely fascinating footnote to their later issues of Die Jagdfliegerverbände concerning the RLV at the end of the war. By the way, Gerhard Bracke, who wrote the biography of Hans Waldmann, was one of the people who worked with Blyth on his quest back in 2000.

Regards,
Tom Semenza

PS: It was taking an inordinate amount of time to upload the 4 pages I mentioned so only the first three are attached. I'll try to upload the last one on another posting.
Old 22nd November 2009, 03:34

Tom Semenza
Photo of Strüning

Adjunct to my previous posting.

Tom
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:40
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Curious Case of the NSFK Ace

Very interesting story of individual course in this war of machines, always refreshing , but you are speaking of the 25. victory, norm it is usual before the 25. to achieve at least 24 before, hv you an idea of how nd in which unit he scored so high, nd if I hv well understood, in a rather short time lap ??

Remi
Old 22nd November 2009, 18:41

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

That is a remarkable document concerning his proposal for award of the Knight's Cross. I would like to see a list of his claims and whether or not they were all confirmed.
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:02
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Photo of Strüning

Hi Tom

I find this fascinating!

It's all new to me. I wish to know more.

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:38

Tom Semenza

The answer to your questions is "What you see, is what you get." I know no more than is shown on those pages. Which is why I am hoping to interest someone in the Hamburg area to investigate further. Perhaps Strübing's nephew is in possession of his Flugbuch and/or other documention related to his career.

By the way, I wrote to Mr. Blyth in June via his publisher but have not received a response. Anyway I kind of doubt that he has any further information available than that already printed in his book.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Semenza; 24th November 2009 at 20:45. Reason: spelling correction
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:45

Tom Semenza

Brian,

Very fascinating indeed. Welcome to the club of those who would like to know more about this!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:05
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Tom

I thank you for drawing this to my (at least) attention - I really mean that I had no comprehension whatsoever of this force.

I hope that others, in the know, will contribute.

Cheers (and thanks)

Brian
Old 24th November 2009, 03:17

Maximowitz is on a distinguished road

Ditto Brian's post. Fascinating.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:36

Schlageter is on a distinguished road

Another NSFK ace, although i'm not very convinced by this one:

http://www.pilotenbunker.de/Jagdflie...adam_georg.htm

Best regards