Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 25th October 2018, 21:12

Dan History is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb The S-300 missile system in Syria - two posts discussing the crisis

A crisis has developed since mid-September over the transfer of the S-300 air defence system to Syria by Russia.

I have written two blog posts on the subject, the first of which discusses just what the Russians delivered to Syria, while the second emphasises the core problem - Russia's ever closer embrace of rogue states.

https://airlandbattle.wordpress.com/...-syria-russia/

https://airlandbattle.wordpress.com/...s-but-limited/

Dan

Last edited by Dan History; 25th October 2018 at 21:12. Reason: formatting
Old 26th October 2018, 09:38

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Re: The S-300 missile system in Syria - two posts discussing the crisis

I thought the problem was Israel attacking Syria's strategic assets ..........
You say the S300's are located in a dangerous area - dangerous to who?
"Axis of Evil" - a bit dramatic, don't you think? Those in the middle-east would have the same label for the western powers continually bringing rebellions and war to their countries ........
And no, I am not a sympathiser. I just don't believe all the BS they tell us.
Peter
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:07
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Somehow I detect strong smell of double-standards. For example, how come Iran and Syria are "rogue states" (rogue according to whom?) but Saudi-Arabia is not? I am not aware that Iranians or Syrians have used their foreign embassies as slaughterhouses for unpleasant journalists, for example. Or the hard fact that Syria under Bashar al-Assad has been the most Christian-friendly Arab nation in the area by far. Even Iran is better for its Christian minority than Saudi-Arabia. In fact, Saudis could handle the Middle Eastern asylum tourist problem on its own, yet nobody seems to ask that why Saudis are not welcoming their Islamic brothers in. Instead, the same people who are so keen to point out "rogue states" are perfectly happy to see e.g. England turning into a society in which basic democrartic rights like freedom of speech are supressed to appease certain throat-cutting minorities.
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:53
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys

this is about postwar missile systems not Middle East politics.

Keep it focused.
Old 4th November 2018, 05:12

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

I thought we were discussing the second blog Dan directed our attention to, headed by the attached, that ends with -
"the critical issue at hand is not the S-300, but rather Russia's growing alliance with the rogue regimes of Iran and Syria"
Peter
Old 21st November 2018, 09:47

Danny152 is on a distinguished road

Dan,

Great work and very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Danny
Old 4th December 2018, 13:39

Dan History is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny152 View Post
Great work and very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Danny,

You are most welcome!

Last edited by Dan History; 4th December 2018 at 13:39. Reason: formatting post
Old 4th December 2018, 17:00
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Just on your appreciation of the S-300 system on the deployment, my humble opinion is that your comment that this small deployment will be overwhelmed by a full Israeli or US attack is irrelevant.

Yes it will be overwhelmed in this case, but the last operation of this kind was launched in 2003 when Iraq was attacked. Since then the usual air operation is involving a small number of aircraft, and so even one modern SAM battery could be enough to counter such an attack, especially in our world where the loss of an aircraft will be seen as a big issue, not even to speak of the fate of the crew.

Still the past history has shown that a modern air force can sweep missile defences with relatively light losses, but it is more a political move than a military one. So the idea is to SHOW the batteries rather than hide them as will be more logical on a pure military level. By the way there is still the possibility that other hidden batteries are deployed.

But the most important part is the fact that these batteries are displayed just near Russian ones, and so any attack on a Syrian position may result in a serious incident with Russia. And that is probably the main reason that will stop the USA, and very probably Israel too, to attack them, or the targets they protect.

As for you second article on Russia joining the Axis of Evil, Russia is the only country in the world I can think of that invaded and annexed foreign territory (according to international law) in the current century. So if one country deserves to be called rogue state by the US, it is Russia. I don't see any difference in what Iran is doing in the area in the last years compared to what Saudi Arabia or the USA are doing. The terrorists that are active those days are rather based or supported by Saudi Arabian or Pakistanese networks, two US allies, than by Iran.

Best regards
Old 4th December 2018, 20:58
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Atlantic Charter, 2. clause:"territorial adjustments must be in accord with the wishes of the peoples concerned;". Crimean majority favoured the change of hands.
Old 4th December 2018, 22:19
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Atlantic Charter, 2. clause:"territorial adjustments must be in accord with the wishes of the peoples concerned;". Crimean majority favoured the change of hands.
But still all NATO members, having signed this chart, have not recognized Russian take over of Crimea and Eastern Ukrain. I have not enough knowledge to know who is right or wrong on this case, I just describe the current international situation.

And the majority of Catalonia has voted to gain more autonomy in Spain and its political leaders have been accused of treason by the Spanish government without any country blaming them of not respecting the Atlantic Charter.

In the Middle East, applying this rule will probably see Iraq disappear or shrink a lot, with Shia lands going to Iran and Kurdistan becoming independent. I will be very very surprised to see it happen.

Tags
air defence, israel, s-300, syria, war