Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2012, 00:12

Adam
LQ and MQ maps

Hi,

I've searched the net to the best of my ability and come up short. Is there a source out there which shows the LQ and MQ maps? If anyone has a copy they'd be willing to share I'd be most greatful.

Thanks

Adam
Old 7th April 2012, 03:26

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
Re: LQ and MQ maps

Hi Adam

It depends on what you want the maps for. If you want the actual German staff maps then I would recommend the Map Archive of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (Polish Military Geographical Institute) 1919 – 1939 which include German maps of central and Eastern Europe in great detail and some other areas.

However if you are trying to locate LQ map references then I would recommend Army Map, Marine Quadrat Karte & Jägergradnetz . This site includes the LUMA downloadable spread-sheet programme which allows for the translation of the German map codes into modern references. The site also includes some large maps which show the placement of the parent codes, which you will need when entering data into the ‘LUMA’ spreadsheet. These maps are not quite complete. I did for-instance need to be a little constructive in working out the correct parent codes for the Crimea. I don’t think that Italy or North Africa are included, but again by using the other maps and a little guess work the parent codes can be worked out.

Hope this helps. If you have any problems with this just PM me.

Ian
Old 7th April 2012, 09:35

Adam

Thanks Ian, the difficulty I have is that in the KTBs (KüFlGrn) only references such as Q3436 are listed and there are no mention as to AN, AM, AO, etc which would help determine the place in the Marine chart.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:44

ianatheling is on a distinguished road

Hi Adam

I think that this is why you need to know the general area where the incident occured. Then you can use the maps on the LUMA site to work out the parent code.

Ian