Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2005, 04:06
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Erich Hartmann: 352 victories or... 80?

Today I flicked through the latest issue of Le Fana de l'Aviation (Febr. 2005).
The feature article, titled: 'Erich Hartmann: 352 victories or... 80?', written by a Russian researcher, Dmitry Khazanov, deals with the air victory claims of the top fighter ace of all times.
I did not have a chance to read much of the article, but based on the title, the Russian writer doubts the veradicity of most of Hartmann's victory claims.

I would like to hear from someone, who has read the article and the conclusion drawn by the author.

Dénes
Old 13th March 2005, 17:42

marsyao
Re: Erich Hartmann: 352 victories or... 80?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád
The feature article, titled: 'Erich Hartmann: 352 victories or... 80?', written by a Russian researcher, Dmitry Khazanov, deals with the air victory claims of the top fighter ace of all times.
I did not have a chance to read much of the article, but based on the title, the Russian writer doubts the veradicity of most of Hartmann's victory claims.

I would like to hear from someone, who has read the article and the conclusion drawn by the author.

Dénes
I am very interesting in this article, feel so sorry that I could not read Russian, my opnion is that every fighter pilots overclaimed, Hartmann was no exception, if we accept the reseanable 2:1 overcliamed rate, the real Hartmann's "kills" would be 180-200, that would not surprised me, but 80 ? that was unbelieveble, that was almost equal to claim that Hartmann was a deliberatly liar, dose Mr Khazanov have any reall evidence to support his claim ? Or is this article just another propaganda ? What is Mr Khazanov's reputation in the historay research area ?
Old 13th March 2005, 18:39
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsyao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád
Dénes
I am very interesting in this article, feel so sorry that I could not read Russian, my opnion is that every fighter pilots overclaimed, Hartmann was no exception
Since Dénes is describing this article as a feature in Le Fana de l'Aviation it would suffice if you read french!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 13th March 2005, 18:46

marsyao
No, do not read French either, I only read Chinese and English, and I believe this article was first published in Russian, I heard someone mentioned it before.
Old 14th March 2005, 07:09

karlenko
It never published in russian

Hi
As I know, it never published in russian. However I can ask russian text from author.
Dmitriy
Old 14th March 2005, 11:21

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Hartmann

I haven't read the article myself...however Hans Ring has compiled a lengthy 5-page reply rebutting most of the arguments ('facts') presented therein...the piece is awaiting translation before hopefully appearing in a future issue..
Old 14th March 2005, 16:25

marsyao
FalkeEins and karlenko, very interesting, would one of you genttlemen be nice enough to give us some at least brief information about Mr Khazanov's and Mr Ring's rebuke ? I would be very appreciated
Old 14th March 2005, 17:22
Alter Hase

Hartmann's air victories

The basic question is that is there a complete, final list with all of Hartmann's 352 victory claims? AFAIK, only the first 150 vics., as written in his first logbook, are known 100%, as his second logbook was stolen when he surrendered in 1945.

Recently, the French aviation magazine, Avions, published a long article on him, incl. a reconstruction of his victory claims. The second part of his claims list was spotty, at the best (and did not overlap with the info published by Tony Wood).

Dénes
Old 14th March 2005, 17:26
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsyao
What is Mr Khazanov's reputation in the historay research area ?
Mr. Khazanov has published several books and articles related to the air war on the Eastern Front.

I have heard that his works are generally well researched. However, I did not read any of his books, as I don't know Russian.
Opinions?

Dénes
Old 16th March 2005, 03:38

marsyao

Fair enough, Denes, please kind enough to give us more details when you have a chance to finish this article.
Closed Thread