Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th November 2022, 14:37
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Luftwaffe Verordnungs Blatt number 19-1941

Does anyone have a copy or access to the above? I'm looking for the explanation for Feindflüge versus Frontflüge wich is explained in this issue.
Junker
Old 6th November 2022, 14:55
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Verordnungs Blatt number 19-1941

Jörn -

According to A.I. 12 British Air Ministry: Manual of German Air Force Terminology, German-English, c. 1946,

Feindflüge = flights against the enemy.

Frontflüge = war flights.

That's rather unclear, so I hope you find the Lw.Verordnungsblatt and it provides more information. Please let us know if you find anything that amplifies the above.

L. deZ.
Old 6th November 2022, 16:07
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

JUNKER, I do hope you will find it too and maybe can share your findings with us. As you know, am particularly interested on the subject.

A.
Old 7th November 2022, 19:02
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

I do know the terms. But a number of Feindflüge could be converted to a higher number of Frontflüge, in order to obtain Frontflugspange. I would like to know the procedure. I will share it in due time.
Jörn
Old 7th November 2022, 20:36
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

It seems this applied only for multi-engined aircraft, I believe.

There was some kind of rule, if memory does not fail me, but I do not remember from where I took notes. Certainly not from an Official Source like that you are looking for:
* Flights up to 4 hours flying time > 1 Feindflüge = 1 Frontflüge
* Flights from 04:01hs up to 07:59hs > 1 Feindflüge = 2 Frontflüge
* Flights of more than 8 hours > 1 Feindflüge = 3 Frontflüge

However, I have not seen up today, how night-fighter sorties of more than 4 hours were recorded on Flugbüche (maybe if some of you do have this kind of register we can list, at least some entries)...and am not sure if this rule applied overall to all branches of LW services (certainly for Wekusta, Aufklärer Staffelns, etc.) we do have entries that prove this rule.

RAF Bomber Command and Coastal Command (seaplanes) airmen often flew sorties up to 11 hours (or more on the case of the Sunderlands)....and some B-29 airmen later flew some of the longest WW2 sorties recorded.

This is a fascinating subject indeed.

It would be quite interesting to know the procedures for convertion. If the crewmembers were allowed to submit their own adjustements on their Flugbüche, which were then signed by their C.O.'s (Staffelkapitäne and Kommandeure and Kommodore), or if the Adjutant had to specify, amongst the monthly total of sorties, how many would be graded up to 2 or 3 Frontflüge, thus giving an overall total higher.

This "LW internal and Administrative procedures" must be the "cat's jump" as we use to say down here....

Really nice thread JU55DK.

A.