Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 25th January 2011, 15:54

Carl Schwamberger is on a distinguished road
Re: possible USAF F-84 or F-104 shot down near Strasbourg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingkag View Post
Bill,

What the old man explained I met there on Lichtnebreg is an amazing and terrible history;

It seems that the (canadian) pilot had bailed out over Luxembourg (I believe) because the jet had apparent engine troubles.

Then the Sabre followed his flight without pilot, eastern, for a long trip.

He arrived over the Vosges mountains and flow over the town of Lichtenberg and then followed his way eastern, in the little valley between Reipertswiller and Rothbach.

As he explained that to me, he seemed to think that it was "as if someone would have pulled on the commands" and ordered that it had to go back and crash there.

The controls of these aircraft were remarkably stable under some circumstances. Still a 180 degree or lesser turn is not impossible. Here is a similar incident in the US just a few years later.

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/71fis_...ing_580787.htm
Old 28th January 2011, 01:14

Flyingkag is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much to you both;

Yes , all these informations help or could help;

I will try to learn the exact date (and allreday year/season) of the F-102 crash in the nearst villages; it could be usefeull!

Thanks for the Sabre pilots' name; do you believe those history details could interest him...or just bring sad old memories back!

His "alone 180° returning jet" did two civilian victims in village...but sure that was not his own "fault".

Thanks for having helped...

Mathias
Old 29th January 2011, 01:07
Alter Hase

Kutscha

The Sabre crash occurred on Dec 5 1960. Cause of the crash is stated as a jammed control column.
Old 29th January 2011, 21:53

Flyingkag is on a distinguished road

thanks you all,

I didn't find "my" local crashed F102 in the lists you gave; I 'll let you learn if I can identify it with a possible date of the crash.

Cheers

mathias