Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd February 2005, 19:30

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Need help about Austrian Air Force Fw-58s.

I´d like to get some information about colors - light gray or silver? - and markings. Did a search on net using Google but no luck. Do not remember to have seen various photos on my books.
This info is to help a review of Commando5 resin/multi media Focke-Wulf Fw-58 C model in 1/72.
Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd February 2005, 23:26

Tony Jones
In the book "Stormbird" by Herman Buchner there is a photo of Austrian Airforce Fw 58 serial number 302, the caption says "apparantly finished in German light grey paint overall, with the red and white Austrian cockades"
Old 3rd February 2005, 23:26

Tony Jones
In the book "Stormbird" by Herman Buchner there is a photo of Austrian Airforce Fw 58 serial number 302, the caption says "apparantly finished in German light grey paint overall, with the red and white Austrian cockades"
Old 4th February 2005, 04:02

Yves Marino
Austrian Fw 58 Weihe

Hi Sergio!
Take a look at this colour profiles:
http://wp.scn.ru/camms/archive/ww2_o...index.shtml?70
http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/focke-wulf/fw58.htm
The pre-war Austrian Airforce existed only between 1935 and 1938. In March 1938 after the "Anschluss" Austria became a part of the 3-th Reich. So the new Austrian military airplanes were delivered in the years '35-'37.
The colour is RLM 63 (LICHTGRAU).
I think Austria received Fw 58B not C.
By the wat the brazilian Fw 58 were also grey, aren't they? Was this the original RLM colour?
You can try and search the www. again with the german word for Austrian AirForce: Österreichische Luftstreitkräfte.
Have fun!
Old 4th February 2005, 07:26

Horst Kube
Fw 58 B, Dienstnummer 302

Hi Sergio, Yves is right. Austria received the Fw B versions. I sent you a photo of the Fw 58 B, Dienstnummer 302 (service number) to your private mailbox, because I am involved in selling a special Fw photo CD.

All the best, Horst
Old 4th February 2005, 11:26

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Many thanks.

Tony. I do not have this book, it was lost on mail and never arrived my home (Barry Ketley sent me an autographed copy as a gift...)

Yves. I had found those profiles and photos. I´m just trying to confirm the correct colors so I wouldn´t put incorrect information. There is some confuse information about the colors of the Weihe in Brasil. It´s believed the first batch got a greenish gray color (RLM02 or RLM62 ??) but photos do not confirm this. The second batch got a silver color. From the photos I have sometimes some planes looks to have a darker color but still can´t confirm they were gray or not. To my knowledgement there are no surviving documents. Interior color is reporded to be also in a greenish gray color, possibly RLM02. After their use on Brazilian Navy, they were flying on Brazilian Air Force and they got gray finish.

Horst. The photo arrived fine and is of good help. Thanks

The history of the Weihe in Brasil (military service) can be seen on "História da Força Aérea Brasileira" web page at: http://www.rudnei.cunha.nom.br/FAB/br/ Choose English, then Aircraft and Patrol.