Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 25th December 2014, 13:47

Bob Morritt is on a distinguished road
Alex Vanags-Baginskis

Alex was a good friend of mine since 1967 when he visited me in Manchester and at the place I worked when I was away on vacation (The Daily Mirror). It was only this week I noticed his annual Christmas card to me in Canada had not arrived.(Alex was always punctual).I viewed your site to see if he had made any recent contributions and was saddened to see he has recently passed away. I have his extensive correspondence over the past decades also his published works. I want to say to his close friend in Croydon and to his son and daughter my deepest sympathies, he is greatly missed. Bob Morritt ,Ontario, Canada.

I am very sorry to hear this. Alex and I were close friends for 57 years.It was only last week that I thought about Alex's Christmas card which he never missed sending me in Canada. My deepest sympathy is extended to his close friend in Croydon also to his son and daughter who he would mention occasionally to me in correspondence. Bob Morritt, in Ontario, Canada. I have most of his books and extensive historical overview from him of his past in the early days (in WW II)..Sadly missed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloma Robertson View Post
I am very sad to say that alex passed away last Sunday 23rd November and is greatly missed by us all. If there is anyone who is interested in any of his historic research on aviation aircraft please get in touch
I was a close friend of Alex in England from 1967 to around 1971 then I went back to Canada. some years later we found ourselves and communicated regularly over a four decade period . I was amazed at home much literary information and photographs he had when I first met him and visited him in the earliest days at his earlier residence in London. He came to visit me when I worked in Manchester and we were both members of the German Philatelic Society in London and contributors of WWII postmarks and other information. for decades .he is sadly missed. - Bob Morritt in Canada.

Quote:
I am very sad to say that alex passed away last Sunday 23rd November and is greatly missed by us all. If there is anyone who is interested in any of his historic research on aviation aircraft please get in touch
I am very sorry to hear of Alex' passing. He and I were friends since 1967.We worked together on articles that appeared in the German Philatelic Society in London. He never missed sending me his annual Christmas card with the notation 'letter to follow'. I am in Canada and if his family need to contact me, Bob Morritt.
my e-mail is r.morritt@bell.net

Quote:
Alex Vanags-Baginskis will be cremated at The Croydon Crematorium, Mitcham Road, Croydon at 10.45 on Friday 12th December. Anyone wishing to attend would be more than welcome and afterwards at the Croydon Airport Aerodrome Hotel. Anyone requiring any further information please leave a message on this forum and I will gladly respond. His family would love to meet any of his old colleagues and friends
Alex and I were good friends since 1967,we both contributed information on the philatelic history of WWII especially in regards to Ostland and related areas and bilingual postmarks. He never missed sending me his annual Christmas card with a PS saying `letter to follow` I am sad to hear of his passing if his family or friend need to contact me my e-mail is, r. morritt (at)bell.net in Canada.
Old 2nd January 2015, 03:16

Bob Morritt is on a distinguished road
Re: Alex Vanags-Baginskis

Quote:
Alex Vanags-Baginskis will be cremated at The Croydon Crematorium, Mitcham Road, Croydon at 10.45 on Friday 12th December. Anyone wishing to attend would be more than welcome and afterwards at the Croydon Airport Aerodrome Hotel. Anyone requiring any further information please leave a message on this forum and I will gladly respond. His family would love to meet any of his old colleagues and friends
I have known Alex since 1967 personally , I am in Canada and we corresponded regularly. If Aloma or Alex's daughter or son could contact me, my e-mail is as follows: robert.morritt@bell.net. I still have all his correspondence.