Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 25th October 2019, 18:14
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Update Nachtjagd Combat Archive series 1944, Vol. 1

Dear all,

I'm happy to report that we have just finished work on the Nachtjagd Combat Archive series 1944, Vol. 1, which covers 1 January 1944 - 15/16 March 1944. It should be out by the end of November. Very pleased with the final results, hope you'll like it too!

Cheers, Theo
Old 25th October 2019, 18:21

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: Update Nachtjagd Combat Archive series 1944, Vol. 1

Thanks for the update, really looking forward to it!
Old 11th November 2019, 19:42
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Dear all,

Here's the official announcement on the Wingleader website:

https://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/na...-1944-part-one

Cheers, Theo
Old 11th November 2019, 19:54
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thank you, Theo. Unfortunately, I have run across too many, for me, images of downed RAF aircraft where only pieces are visible. There are no identifying markings left and no landmarks visible. Finally, there is no writing on the back of the photos.

Kind regards,
Ed
Old 11th November 2019, 20:09
Alter Hase

Thanks for your feedback Ed, but I'm a bit puzzled about the point that you are trying to make?

Cheers, Theo
Old 11th November 2019, 20:25
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

The only point I'm making is that it is unfortunate that I see a lot of RAF photos where the remains of the aircraft cannot be identified and are therefore lost to the historical record.

Ed
Old 11th November 2019, 21:58
Alter Hase

Yes, agreed Ed, as a general point -many crash photos that appear on Ebay for example regrettably cannot be tied to the loss of a particular aircraft. In the Nachtjagd Combat Archive series however we try and positively identify the wreckage photos of Bomber Command and Nachtjagd aircraft that are depicted in the volumes. A lot of time and effort has been spent in this process.

Best regards, Theo
Old 12th November 2019, 17:45

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Update Nachtjagd Combat Archive series 1944, Vol. 1

Pre-ordered it today! Very much looking forward to it. And the collection grows...

I am very content with the series, but have one remark/request.
In the series there are several interesting clauses in which aircrew recount their experiences. I presume those were originally in German and you have chosen to translate it. For me, the original German would make some things better to understand. An example is a German book translated into English where Marauder-type is translated into Marauder. In that book, Luftwaffe pilot Wolfgang Späte actually spotted B-25 bombers, which he described as Marauder-type but in the English book this was carelessly translated as Marauder.

My request is, can you publish a seperate volume at the end of the series with all the original German text as written down by the aircrew in it?
Old 12th November 2019, 22:55
Alter Hase

Thanks for your comments Timon. I'm afraid that there will be no German-language separate volume(s) in the NCA series, although I can quite understand your desire to read the original German-language first-person accounts.
Old 13th November 2019, 00:49
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Theo,
I wonder if you can answer a question I have? When were the German archives from World War 1, in Potsdam as I understand it, destroyed? These in particular covered the Luftstreitkräfte records from WW1. I have never seen a date given, but only vague references to 1943 or 1944, with nothing more substantial. Perhaps a note in a future issue of NJCA?

Enjoy!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 13th November 2019 at 10:17.