Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd February 2005, 22:43

Colin R Corne
SGT Colin r glover 56otu,213 sqdn,274 sqdn kia 26/5/41 Crete

My Grandfather Sgt Colin R glover also known as "Gerry" Glover trained for the RAF before the war as an auxiliary/Reserve and signed up at the outbreak of war,His demise flying Hawker Hurricane Z4606 over Crete with 274 Sqdn based at El Gerawla is known to me as is his brief period with 213 squadron as i have traced his details from the operational record books of both 274 /213 sqdn at PRO kew.

However i am trying to trace the wherabouts of my grandfather during the battle of britain and posibly the fall of france.Is it possible that a trained airman could have been non operational during the battle period?

MY mothers family believe he was active in france (possibly in Blenheims )
and was at 56 otu sutton Bridge either as a student or an instructor.As he never survived the war i am trying to prove whether he was indeed as my mother believes one of the few.IF any on e can help with any info on his whereabouts during the battle period i would be most grateful for any help.Otherwise i suspect it will be a long process of elimination sqdn by sqdn of the operational record bookd of the battle of britain squadrons.

My mother has apicture of her father with agroup of battle of britain pilots taken at hawkindge so i am totally confused .I know his personnel records show him as being in 5 grp pool whatever that was . Any ideas most appreciated.