Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th August 2008, 16:40

Mark McShane is on a distinguished road
Shipping Attack March 1941

Gents,

Another query relating to attacks on shipping, I'm not certain whether the ship in question was sunk by an air attack or a mine, but we'll see if anyone has any information about an air attack. Just to make it more difficult I only have an approximate date and location.

The attack was probably in the SW approaches/off South & west coast of Ireland. It was between the dates 9th - 17th March. The ship was sailing independently.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark
Old 30th August 2008, 19:01

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Shipping Attack March 1941

Hi, Mark...

Any chance you may know the name of the ship, or what time of day it may have come under attack? It could help to narrow things down a little.

Regards...
Old 31st August 2008, 22:17

The name of the ship was Adophe Urban of Belguim. I do not have an exact date, the dates I gave are an approximate range based on the last sighting seen and a lifeboat being brought ashore in Ireland on 27 March with 2 badly decomposed bodies. The lifeboat came ashore in Co. Clare on the west coast, this is why I suspect that it was making the journey around the SW of Ireland.

Regards,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by obdl3945 View Post
Hi, Mark...

Any chance you may know the name of the ship, or what time of day it may have come under attack? It could help to narrow things down a little.

Regards...
Old 1st September 2008, 00:49

Uncle Leon is on a distinguished road

There is this:
http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?15269

Uncle Leon
Old 1st September 2008, 09:04

Thanks Leon, I have come across this, but it is of little help, it doesn't indicate when or where it sunk or how it sunk.

Regards,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Leon View Post
Old 1st September 2008, 11:23

mhuxt

This site says 7 March (note spelling)

http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg...e/losses-a.htm
Old 1st September 2008, 12:59

7th of March was the last time the ship was sighted by anyone, that was from the Nab tower on the Solent estuary. The ship was not sunk there.

Regards,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuxt View Post
This site says 7 March (note spelling)

http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg...e/losses-a.htm
Old 2nd September 2008, 01:08

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo Mark,

I tried posting this message last night but the connection failed when I tried to submit it. However it seems others are presently having similar problems.

I presume you found that information on the Adolphe Urban in File G2/X/0466 ('Shipwrecks off the Irish Coast, Bodies washed ashore'). That file was hard work ! Unfortunately I never found anything else on this very sad incident. Your post has prompted me to do some work on it.

Firstly the lifeboat was actually found in the Shannon Estuary on 26 March 1941 and the bodies were buried on the 27th in Kilrush, Co. Clare.

I found an old 2002 posting by Theodor Dorgeist on the Warsailors.com website about this ship. He states it was bombed and sunk by German aircraft on 8 March 1941 in position 52.20 N, 05.37 W. This is approximately midway in St. George's Channel between Ireland and Wales. Or about 30 miles ENE of Rosslare in Co. Wexford. I don't know about tides and currents, but it seems unusual that a lifeboat could travel such a circuitous route. Also in these very busy waters one might expect it to have been seen by the many ships and aircraft patrolling overhead.

It was sailing from Swansea in Wales to Drogheda in Ireland. Captain Marcel Vyncke and 11 crew were lost, there were no survivors. Seven of the crew of British nationality are named on the Tower Hill Memorial website to lost British and Commonwealth merchant seamen. Some more information can be found on the www.wrecksite.eu (as per Leon) and the www.miramarshipindex.org.nz websites.

A check of the www.u-boat.net revealed a U-boat was not involved in this sinking. Indeed they were not operating in the Irish Sea/St. George's Channel area at that stage of the war. Nor is this vessel named on a list of ships attacked by FW 200s of KG 40. However KG 27 with its Heinkel 111s were heavily committed to anti-shipping operations in this area during the spring of 1941.

If anyone has the KG 27 unit history by Walter Waiss could they please check this possibility for us ?

Hope this helps - and this reply posts properly !

Martin Gleeson.