Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th August 2008, 08:58

Adam
He 59 loss

Hi,

Can anyone help me identify these two losses:

Firstly this one. Failing identification of the aircraft, does anyone recognise the background which may help narrow the loss to either KFlGr 906 or 706?

The second one is:

I'm assuming this is from Seenotfligkommando./Cherbourg - there is a date on the back as "07.08" with no year given, but it is given as on the Channel.

If anyone can shed light on these two aircraft and how they came to be in their respective states, I'd appreciate it

TIA

Adam
Old 24th August 2008, 12:05

Von Alles
Re: He 59 loss

Hi,
The scene is in Boulogne-sur-Mer.
According to the recent published book "Les hydravions de la Luftwaffe" Volume 1, this He 59B was 20% damaged on August 2nd, 1940. Note the insigna (3/906), but the plane belonged to Seenotzentrale Boulogne.

Heve a good Sunday,

Von Alles
Old 24th August 2008, 15:06

Adam

Thanks for the info.. Is there any further details on either the aircraft (WNr, S/Vkz) or how the damage was incurred? Likewise, any information on how long the aircraft had been detached (?) from 3./906?

I don't suppose there is anything on the second picture?

Adam
Old 24th August 2008, 18:41

Von Alles

About the second picture, not the same plane, but the same location.

I shall do more research.

Von Alles
Old 24th August 2008, 20:42

Von Alles

I can confirm : location is Boulogne.
The second plane is registrated TY+HD.

Von Alles
Old 24th August 2008, 21:38
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: He 59 WNr (ex loss)

Guys

I notice the digits 176 on the fin of the second 59. In Les Hydroavions de la Luftwaffe there is also a photo of one with digits 177. Not sure what this really is since the digits does not correspond to any known Heinkel or Arado WNr. Did someone else build this type under license? If not a WNr what then could it be??

Cheers
Stig
Old 25th August 2008, 09:05

Adam

Many thanks von Alles. I don't suppose it is mentioned in the work you cite how the first aircraft was damaged, or even its WNr or V/Skz?

Stig, I know nothing of TY+HD's history, but I've noted that numbers such as the '176' indicate the aircraft saw service with training establishments and as such, the number was an internal device as used by the schools. Whether that is true of this aircraft or not, I don't know.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:25

Von Alles

Hi,
no Wk Nr are known for these planes, but the causes are the same : ""broke loose from mooring buoy and struck breakwater".
No He 59 are reported damaged on August 7th, 1940, but one the 2nd and one the 3rd. "07.08" refered probably to the date the photo was taken.
I aggree about the "school number" : 176 was probably not a WNr.
The first He came from 3/906 when this unit converted to He 115.

Hope that this will help.

Von Alles
Old 25th August 2008, 21:31
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Adam/von Alles

Thanks for the response. Sorry to say I am not convinced by your theory regarding the digits on the fin, although Luftwaffe are full of surprises... I cannot recall seing any such three digit numbers anywhere else except on the two He 59s stated. What other types used this system? As far as I know no author(s) has brought up such a subject before, which in itself means nothing, but I am listening, so please expand! How was it related to units??

Cheers
Stig
Old 26th August 2008, 00:37

Adam

Hi von Alles/ Stig

I've attached pictures showing aircraft with a similar numbering system on the tail, this time an He 59 of 9 NSNSt and the tail of an He 115 from an unknown unit (unfortunately, I don't have any sort of program that may clear up the later image enough to see the number).

Of course, the use of such numbers on the tails may not have been for training units, but they don't correspond to a WNr and if instead it was a Seenot practice, then its odd that there is an He 115 with a number painted on the tail and/or other known Seenot a/c didn't display numbers in this way (perfect example, picture 1 from above). That leaves only training establishments. It's a long stretch, I know and the number on the He 115 may not be connected to the idea behind the He 59 numbers...

cheers