Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th July 2010, 21:28

George Haley is on a distinguished road
Re: Martin "Tino" Becker claims 22 March 1944

If this is duplicated sorry!
I am only 1km from Hausen near Usingen and would be happy to try and find out anything I can from the local papers of the time if you like.

Also do you know where exactly it crashed [map reference] that would be interesting and if it is near houses that have been around for years it may be that I could find local information if it was of use. People around here don't move far from home as it were.
Old 30th July 2010, 03:11

mhuxt

George, check PMs please.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:26

Stevie W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke384 View Post
Hi,

this is an really interesting thread, especially for me, because I´m living about 25 kilometres away from DV384´s chrash side!!

Best greetings from Germany: Lukas
Hi Luke
My father in laws brother was the rear gunner on DV384 on that night I am doing research into the activities of that night and trying to establish for certain how he died. I think from what you guys on here say Tino Becker shot down DV384 I do intend to visit Germany next year to visit the crash site/area if possible and then to go to the cemetry in Holland. Is the crash site somewhere you can visit ??
Old 11th November 2010, 21:49

FrankieS is on a distinguished road

We know more now about ND672. Crashplace was not Beckum but (very near to Beckum) Keitlinghausen (today belonging to Oelde).

22.03.1944 Lancaster ND672
D-59302 Oelde-Keitlinghausen, Germany
ID EA-F/U
ND672 was one of two No.49 Sqdn Lancasters lost on this operation to Frankfurt.Airborne 1911 22Mar44 from Fiskerton.
Crash location: Keitlinghausen, 59302 Oelde, Germany [23km SW of Gutersloh]
Attacked by nightfighter, explosion in air, jettisoned bombs exploding on ground, ND672 caught fire and dived steeply into ground.
Main body of a/c just north of Beckum/Stromberg road. Tail & rear turret with R/G body 300m S on S side of road.
A/c burnt for 24 hrs A/C completely smashed and deeply embedded in ground. 5ft into a ploughed field. Russian PoWs used during salvage.
Funeral services for those killed were reported. They have been subsequently re-interred in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery alongside their Squadron comrades from ND536.
F/O D.G.Turner KIA
Sgt E.Lee KIA
Sgt S.J.Upton KIA
F/O W.Pearce KIA
Sgt L.H.Nightingale KIA
Sgt P.D.Velasco PoW
Sgt J.N.E.Bennett RCAF KIA

Last edited by FrankieS; 12th November 2010 at 21:16.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:20

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

George, it might help to talk to the local historian. Most German towns/villages, have a Heimatverein and those folks have a lot of data. Danny
Old 12th November 2010, 10:23

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Stevie W and Lukas, the late Horst Muenter, a historian from Dortmund most likely had info on this crash in his files. I will see who has Muenter's collection and check if they can provide more info. Danny
Old 12th November 2010, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg keay View Post
Stevie W and Lukas, the late Horst Muenter, a historian from Dortmund most likely had info on this crash in his files. I will see who has Muenter's collection and check if they can provide more info. Danny
Danny

Many thanks very much appreciated
Old 13th November 2010, 00:18

rlapes is on a distinguished road

Steve W

This is a raid the I have been researching for some time and I have a copy of the MREU Investigation Report and the Loss Card for DV384:

At approximately 21:00 the bomber stream was attacked by German nightfighters near Grevenbruek. One of the bombers was hit and it immediately jettisoned a number of incendiary bombs estimated at 80. Shortly after this bomber crashed near the village of Obermelbecke, 3 km NNE of Grevenbrueck. The a/c must have had a considerable bombload as the explosion reulting from its impact with the ground was felt and heard at a distance of several kilometers and a very large crater was made in the earth where it struck.
All of the crew were killed and were buried on March 28th in Evangelic Cemetery in Grevenbruck. The aircraft was 95% destroyed and the wreckage was salvaged on the 23rd and taken to the airfield at Werl.

With the help of a local researcher I have a more precise location of the crash.

The time of incident is uncertain as the MREU report (dated 29/01/48) gives 21:00. I have a nearby RAF observation of an a/c shot down at 21:36. Hermann Stock claims a Lancaster in roughly the right location at 22:10. Becker is attributed with the kill at 21:53 but the location is given as 10km SE of Paderborn. So I will need to put in more work matching up some of the other claims so we can narrow the number of possibilities.

The location of the crash site is consistent with the night fighter force being directed from Dortmund towards Stuttgart, before Frankfurt was finally recognised as the actual target just after the attack had started.

regards
Robert
Old 13th November 2010, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlapes View Post
Steve W

This is a raid the I have been researching for some time and I have a copy of the MREU Investigation Report and the Loss Card for DV384:

At approximately 21:00 the bomber stream was attacked by German nightfighters near Grevenbruek. One of the bombers was hit and it immediately jettisoned a number of incendiary bombs estimated at 80. Shortly after this bomber crashed near the village of Obermelbecke, 3 km NNE of Grevenbrueck. The a/c must have had a considerable bombload as the explosion reulting from its impact with the ground was felt and heard at a distance of several kilometers and a very large crater was made in the earth where it struck.
All of the crew were killed and were buried on March 28th in Evangelic Cemetery in Grevenbruck. The aircraft was 95% destroyed and the wreckage was salvaged on the 23rd and taken to the airfield at Werl.

With the help of a local researcher I have a more precise location of the crash.

The time of incident is uncertain as the MREU report (dated 29/01/48) gives 21:00. I have a nearby RAF observation of an a/c shot down at 21:36. Hermann Stock claims a Lancaster in roughly the right location at 22:10. Becker is attributed with the kill at 21:53 but the location is given as 10km SE of Paderborn. So I will need to put in more work matching up some of the other claims so we can narrow the number of possibilities.

The location of the crash site is consistent with the night fighter force being directed from Dortmund towards Stuttgart, before Frankfurt was finally recognised as the actual target just after the attack had started.

regards
Robert
Robert

Thanks for the information I have PM`d you