Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th April 2006, 11:27

C.Moeller is on a distinguished road
Question Ju 87-loss of 3./NSGr. 2 on 31-3-1945 near Bayreuth-Bindlach

Dear researchers,

Maybe you can help me in finding out which Allied squadron has shot down a Ju 87 of 3./NSGr. 2 on 31-3-1945 near Bayreuth-Bindlach?

The mentioned Ju 87 was on a ferry flight from Erfurt to Bindlach, probably during the morning or midday. When approaching Bindlach it was attacked by three Spitfires (probably!). The Ju 87-pilot flew in circles above the airport, while the AA-guns tried to shot down the Spits, failed, but at least kept them off the Ju 87 for a while. Finally, the Ju 87 turned away and tried to land, but suddenly was attacked by one Spit while flying very low. The Ju 87 was shot down and crashed into a bridge near the airport, killing the crew: Pilot R. Schlothauer, his radio operator and most probably a mechanic.

The loss of the previous mentioned Ju 87 of 3./NSGr. 2 on 31 March 1945 has happened directly near the airport Bayreuth-Bindlach in Bavaria.
As F. Olynyk has not mentioned any American fighter-claim in his book, I thought that a British Sqn may have been successful on that day, if they have operated in this area on that special day at all.
Also, although the veteran speaks of a Spitfire, it could have been any other type of Allied fighter plane.

Maybe someone can solve this Ju 87-loss?
Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Christian Möller
Germany
Old 6th April 2006, 20:50
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ju 87-loss of 3./NSGr. 2 on 31-3-1945 near Bayreuth-Bindlach

According to Ultra, Stab 1. and 2./NSG 2 were ordered to transfer to Bayreuth at 23.00 [GMT ?] on 31 March.

I think that a claim by a Spitfire is unlikely since 2 TAF's Spitfires were based in Holland and the Spitfire was not noted for its long range. Also, 2 TAF was there to support the British and Canadian armies in the north of Germany.

The US/French 1st TAF is a possibility although (according to Aéro-Journal No. 24) the only French claim that day was a Fw 190 at Neuenburg. 8th AF fighters claimed 6-0-8 (Roger Freeman, "Mighty Eighth War Diary"); 9th AF (according to Kenn C. Rust's "The 9th Air Force in World War II") got three victories, including an Me 262.

The Americans look the most likely to have shot down this Ju 87 but that's as close as I can get to an answer.
Old 7th April 2006, 13:57

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your thoughts and your help.

Well, maybe someone knows where to find an American (?) Combat Report fitting in this case?

Kind regards,

Christian
Old 10th April 2006, 13:13

Maybe the veteran gave the wrong date or at least just remembered his own ferry flight on 31 March 1945?

According to ULTRA, 3./NSGr. 2 has completed its transfer to Bayreuth-Bindlach on 3rd April. In fact, at least one crew made the ferry flight from Erfurt to Bindlach on 2nd April, around 7:45 a.m.

Now, the veteran told me that the pilot Schlothauer was a bit late and the last machine to depart to Bindlach (but when?). So, his Ju 87 could have been downed several days later than I originally thought.

On 5th April 1945, 7:50 a.m., 1/Lt. Norbert W. Kirkpatrick of 15 rcn sqn shot down a Ju 87 in "O-8580", Munchberg, which is about 30km NNE of Bindlach (if it is the correct town "Münchberg", as I don´t know where "O-8580" was).
Maybe it was Schlothauer´s Ju 87?
Can anyone provide a Combat Report of 15 rcn sqn?

P.S.: During 5th April 3./NSGr. 2 began transferring to Adlholz, some 45km SSE of Bindlach.

Thank you in advance,

Christian