Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th January 2018, 18:47

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road
Re: Hans-Joachim Marseille

Eric - First, welcome to the forum! There are a lot of really good folks on here with great sources, etc.

As per your question - the PLM has roots in Frederick the Great. It was created in 1740. Frederick was keen on French, so hence the French name for the award.

You can check the Wikipedia article on it.

As to whether or not the informal name for the award was based on Max Immelmann, I think perhaps it is a possibility. I'd check the Aerodrome forums as well for any information on that.

Regards,

Cori

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography

Last edited by Red Baroness; 20th January 2018 at 18:50. Reason: adding stuff, obviously
Old 20th January 2018, 22:36

Eric Rader is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Hans-Joachim Marseille

Many Thanks, for the warm welcome and the info on the PLM. Your answers jibed 100% with what I read on the Wikipedia site--
Old 21st January 2018, 03:53

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road
Re: Hans-Joachim Marseille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rader View Post
Many Thanks, for the warm welcome and the info on the PLM. Your answers jibed 100% with what I read on the Wikipedia site--

Well yeah, that's where I kinda got it from .

Like I said before, if you are interested in the WW1 aspect of the German Air Arm, I'd head on over to the Aerodrome. They can give some good answers on the awards from that era.

As for Marseille - oh, there are tons of books and articles on him out there. Quite the handful- took a skilled and patient man like Edu Neumann to figure out how to harness that energy and turn Marseille from who he was to what he became.

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography