Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th February 2018, 22:33

Peter
Help with handwriting

I need help with interpretation of some text in a Leistungsbuch I was lucky to buy. To me it looks like a mix of Kurrent and Schütterlind, if that is so doesn’t really matter, I have problems getting through the text. Some words here and there I’m able to get but not the full meaning.

Good to know, it’s the eastern front, the first mission is 10 June 44 and the second 17 June 44. The Leistungsbuch is for a Beobachter (Günther Baumgarten) that just have transferred to 7./KG 4 (from 1./KG7). In June 7./KG 4 should have been at Bialystok but the starting place for the missions looks like “Karl”, don’t know where that might be. I also wonder what the abbreviations P.A. and P.Z. stands for. Other missions they go “als zielfinder”. I can also see that two of the columns has the same writing.

The full Leichtungsbuch is just for about 100 days, April to July 44 and 35 missions, but still quite interesting, there are Kurierflüg to and from Sevastopol just before the last evacuation of the Crimea and I’m able to follow the retreat from Criemea to Romania and then to Poland with targets going westwards.

All help I can get is much appreciated.

Thank you
Peter
Old 6th February 2018, 18:18
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: Help with handwriting

Hello Peter,

I cannot explain the abbreviations PA and P.Z. but I can help with the text.

Mission from 10 June 1944:
Mäßige mittlere und schwere Flak, Scheinwerfer.
Als PA-Markierer auf Nachschubbahnhof Schmerinka eingesetzt. Guter Angriffserfolg.
Durch Wehrmachtbericht und Luftbild bestätigt.

Wehrmachtbericht from 11June 1944:
…. Kampffliegerverbände bekämpften in der letzten Nacht den sowjetischen Nachschubverkehr mit gutem Erfolg. Schwere Schäden und große Brände entstanden vor allem in dem wichtigen Bahnknotenpunkt Schmerinka ….

Mission from 17 June 1944:
Mäßige mittlere und schwere Flak. Scheinwerfer.
Als P.Z.-Markierer auf Nachschubbahnhof Nowosybkow eingesetzt. Guter Angriffserfolg.
Durch Wehrmachtbericht und Luftbild bestätigt.

Wehrmachtbericht from 18 June 1944:
…. Starke Verbände schwerer deutscher Kampfflugzeuge griffen in der vergangenen Nacht die Bahnhöfe Gomel, Nowosybkow und Schtschors mit guter Wirkung an. In Bahnanlagen, Munitions- und Betriebsstofflagern entstanden große Brände und Explosionen ….

Regards
Leo
Old 6th February 2018, 20:08

Peter

Thank you Leo!!

You made me very happy. All of a sudden I'm able to folow most of the text any my jibberich guesswork is thrown away.

Much appriciated you added the Wehrmachtbericht for the missions.

A question, do you have any idea of where the mission started, column to the far left? Karl as I see it, I can't find any LW base with that name. It ends with "ziel u. zur."

Again, thank you!
Peter
Old 6th February 2018, 20:54
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hi Peter,

the base of the III./KG 4 in June 1944 was the airfield Bialystok-Zawady, northnorthwest of the city center.
The entry "Karl, Pinsk, Ziel und zur." reads:
Take off in Bialystok, flight via Karl and Pinsk to the target Schmerinka (= Ziel) and back (= zurück) to Bialystok.

Regards
Leo
Old 6th February 2018, 22:28

Peter

Leo,

Then I get it, the way of noting missons differs from when he was flying for 1./KG27 and 7./KG4. All KG27 notes gives "start-target-landing" while when he moves to KG4 he doesn't give the mission starting place, it notes waypoint, then notes Zeil unt zurück. Some later mission while in KG4 he notes starting place (then Nasielsk).

I'm learning things here! Now I need to find Karl

Thanks again Leo

Peter