Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 19th November 2008, 10:44

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
New book on Hungarian Me 210 (and much more)

Gentlemen,

My new book is in printing phase now. It is actually two books under one cover, but the materials are closely connected (and publishing the first one alone would be nearly impossible, so I chosen this option) It is based on a kind of 15-year-long painstaking research, which was really problematic, since the entire fast bomber documentation was lost. I had ended once in 2003 this material, but I was not satisfied with the result, so not published it around that date, but re-started the project again and continued the research until this summer.

The first part of the book presents all phases of the pilot training of the Royal Hungarian Air Force from a young NCO's point of view and through his own experiences (primary, basic, advanced training and OTU - types, units, logged hours, accidents, long list of trainees and their future fate, comparison of the officer and NCO training and their status and comparison between the Hungarian and German and US training system as well) It contains many interesting details about the short range reconnaissance units, stationed at Hungary, about the Me 210 equipped night fighters' and daily destroyers' clashes with the 15th AAF in April, 1944 and it contains many unpublished details also about the target tug units (another important, but entirely neglected form of the military aviation).

The second part of the material is the detailed history of the Hungarian Me 210 equipped fast bomber group in 1944-45. It contains their sorties in great details (day by day account, in most days with the identified and marked exact targets as well), all of their personnel losses (ground/air), their kills, WNrs, Hungarian codes and factory numbers and so on, formerly unknown details. For the 15th AAF fans it contains details not only about the April, 1944 clashes, but the very details from both sides about the 21 August, 1944 strike against Hajdúböszörmény airfield as well, for which Herky Green earned his DSC.

The book has a detailed, rich appendix, which contains fast bomber logbook entries, biographies of notable pilots, detailed claims list, detailed personnel loss list, detailed squadron rosters, commander and airfield list, fast bomber aircraft strength returns, and a detailed rank comparison table (Royal Hungarian Air Force, Luftwaffe, USAAF, RAF)

The book contains close to 200 photos (most of them have never been published before), a map and 4 beautiful Me 210 Ca-1 colour profiles.

The photo/map/colour profile captions are bilingual and the book contains a very detailed English summary (over 17 000 words) plus the very detailed appendix also bilingual (in all, you can find a 25 000 word-long English text in this book).

Here is the front cover:
Old 19th November 2008, 13:02

Kjetil Aakra
Re: New book on Hungarian Me 210 (and much more)

As a Me 210/Me 410 enthusiast I will definitely get this one. Sounds very interesting, indeed!

I have always been interested in what the Hungarians thought of the Me 210 and I guess this one will present the best possible answer!? I am only hoping you can get it published in English in its entirety at some time.

Congratulations on your work!

Best regards,

Kjetil Åkra
Old 19th November 2008, 14:41

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road

A must have for me! Thanks for the announcement Czaba!
Br
Goran
Old 19th November 2008, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil Aakra View Post
I have always been interested in what the Hungarians thought of the Me 210 and I guess this one will present the best possible answer!? I am only hoping you can get it published in English in its entirety at some time.

Congratulations on your work!
Kjetil,

Thank you. Indeed, you will find in this book the Hungarian opinion on the Me 210 Ca-1 (it was very popular among the crews). I know several veterans, who flew both the Caproni Ca.135 and the Messerschmitt Me 210 – well, if you want to hear entirely different opinions, you should ask such people about the Italian kite, since that Caproni was a very dangerous and unreliable aircraft (the most hated type of the Hungarian aviators during this period).

As for the entire English translation: the book contains a very long summary, much longer, than many English language aviation books entire text. It contains the most important parts of the Hungarian text and I made it only because several Zerstörer fans asked me from abroad. I got nothing for this extra work, of course. I said it many times: to me, the most important to publish these materials in Hungarian language. I don’t think, that I’ll have ever make a full translation of this book. I am continuously collecting and expanding everything, so even this text will change in the future. Maybe I’ll write once a comprehensive, analytical material about the Me 210 in Hungary, since I have some interesting additional info, but that will be differ from this work.

Incidentally, forgot to mention: the book is hardback, A/4 size with 180 pages. I’ll have some copies in December already, much sooner, than the several international distributors, if you are interested in.
Old 24th November 2008, 14:27

Kjetil Aakra

Hi Csaba.

Many thanks for your comments on the Me 210 (and Ca. 135!). I have always found it fascinating that the Huangarians reporedly liked this aircraft and used it well, whereas the Germans seemed to have so much trouble with it. But I guess that it also is a matter of perspective, if you are used to Capronis, flying a Me 210 will be something else!!

Seeing what you say about the English translation I must thank you for your unpaid effort which is greatly appreciated by me and other western enthusiasts. It certainly seem to be sufficent for our needs!

If you have copies for sale in December I'd like to buy one, how do we go about that?

Best regards,

Kjetil
Old 24th November 2008, 18:16

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Hi Csaba,

I to would be interested in your newest "baby" As for the englisgh text...are the photo captions in english as well? that would be perfect...if not I will manage
keep us informed, pls...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 24th November 2008, 20:41

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba Becze View Post
I’ll have some copies in December already, much sooner, than the several international distributors, if you are interested in.

..yes please...good luck with this !
Old 25th November 2008, 22:29

Kjetil,

It is better to compare the Me 210 Ca-1 to the Me 410 (with a less powerful engine, of course), than to the Me 210 A. It was not a troublesome aircraft.

The Ca.310 and Ca.135 are different (but also very interesting) stories. Maybe once there will be a large-scale Ca.310 project which will contains Norwegian, Hungarian and Italian experiences too.

PeterKa,

The book contains bilingual (English/Hungarian) photo captions (colour profile captions and map legend are also bilingual). The rich appendix is bilingual too and additionally the book contains a large English summary.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:41

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road

Hi Csaba,
Don't forget to include the Swedish Ca 313 experience if and when taking on the Caproni family. The type was flown extensively by the RSwAF during 1941-45 and a lot of documentation material is available.

Regarding the Me 210 Ca-1: I'll remember it had the longer fuselage and hence better flyin characteristics - Right?

I will buy your book, also hoping to see more about the Hungarian AF in English in the future. I hope your Me 210 book one day will appear translated.

Wouldn't it be more likely that a first edition in English would be able to later finance a Hungarian edition, rather than the other way around?

Cheers
Göran
Old 26th November 2008, 23:05
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hi Csaba

Very interesting. But how do we get it??
Will you/the publisher use regular distribution channels in UK such as Aviation Bookshop or Midlands?
Can we order from you, and if yes how?

Cheers
Stig