Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 31st October 2006, 00:15

cz_raf
Aircrash Lowestoft - RAF Boston

Hi all,
I am trying to find out some info about one photo. It is fery poor shot on which is Douglas Boston or Havoc (I suppose Boston III) lying in a field quite undamaged except propelers with small figure of guard.
All I know is what is written on the back:
"Good luck in Bad luck" Lowestoft and unreadable signature.
Can anybody give me some inforamtion about crashes or better belly-lamding of theese planes in Lowestoft area?
I have found some info that it may be a Boston from 88 Sq RAf that crashlanded in this area on 6 Dec 1942...
Thanks a lot for any info. Pavel
Old 1st November 2006, 02:22

kurlannaiskos
Re: Aircrash Lowestoft - RAF Boston

if it is a Boston from No. 88 Squadron it should have an "RH" code in red on the sides of the fuselage.

Old 1st November 2006, 13:16

cz_raf

Thanks but the photo is taken from 1/4 from the front side and there are no vissible codes:-(

Pavel
Old 5th November 2006, 16:18

BC

Boston III Z2211 RH-D of 'B' Flight, 88 Sqn force-landed in a ploughed field at Brew House Farm, Carlton Colville, near Lowestoft, Suffolk, at 1350 hours on 6 Dec 1942.
The a/c had been taking part in the famous 2 Group RAF raid operation Oyster, a daylight attack on the Phillips valve and radio works in Eindhoven. Shortly after releasing their bombs on the target, the Boston was hit by flak and the starboard engine went u/s.
After considering setting the a/c down in Holland rather than chance a 150 mile sea crossing, the crew struck out for England and 50 minutes later they crossed the coast at Lowestoft and set the Boston down immediately. Sgt Chas Tyler, the pilot, suffered a cut forehead when his harness broke in the crash, and finished up in Lowestoft Hospital. The other two, Sgts Tyler and Gallup, were 'entertained' in the local pub where it appears they won every game of darts and did not have to pay for a drink.
I have an account of the incident from Bob Gallup which he wrote in 1993, but I do not know if he or the other two crewmen are still alive today.

Hope the above helps. Needless to say I'd be interested to see the pcture you mention, as I have never seen any photos of this incident.

BC
Old 5th November 2006, 16:49

cz_raf

Hi Bob,

thanks for your reply. Please check your message box!

Pavel