Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 22nd January 2012, 20:02

drailton is on a distinguished road
Defiants at Madras, India

Can anyone tell me which squadron is referred to in the following: http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-sty...cle2771785.ece
and anything about their operations at Madras. Also, was there any RAF bases at or near Bangalore, India in WWII. If these Defiants saw action against a Japanese attack there how did they fare especially during daylight operations.
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:21

Re: Defiants at Madras, India

I have just had an email reply from Col Bruggy to this post. I dont understand the reply to my post, it does not appear here in this thread and gives a link that will not open. Help please.
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:26

OK now with an adjustment to the web address.
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:43

Thanks to Col Bruggy for the article which includes info on Defiant N1801 PS-B Coimbature II. For some reason his posting does not appear here. The name Coimbature is a place in India and suggests an Indian connection. The article states that the aircraft was flown by Fred Hughes in 1940 and that it later had 5 swastikas painted on. The photo in the 'Hindi' shows the aircraft with these swastikas. So, can anyone tell me what became of this aircraft. Also, what RAF squadrons were operating out of Madras in 1942 and if they saw any action. As mentioned in my original posting I am also interested in any other nearby RAF bases including any at bangalore.
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:46
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

The photo doesn't help in that 264 Sqn (the photo) never operated Defiants outside UK let alone India. I suggest if you want to know what RAF ac operated out of Madras that you post another question on the other board leaving out the Defiant reference?
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:54

udf_00 is on a distinguished road

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210136

May 1941 at Colerne ( No. 264 converting here to Mosquito IIs )
This picture could also have been shot in April 1941, at West Malling or even Biggin Hill.

No. 264 was "Madras Presidency" Squadron, hence the Indian connection.
This aircraft was "purchased out of Madras Governor's war fund" according to the picture caption from The Hindi. In a case like this, it was usual to give the aircraft a name associated with the donator, and Coimbatore is a city in what was the Madras Presidency.

To make it short, the picture show Defiants from Madras Squadron in the UK rather than at Madras (City or Province), India.

Last edited by udf_00; 24th January 2012 at 12:14. Reason: grammar
Old 20th February 2012, 05:20

JaganP is on a distinguished road

Defiants definitely flew out of Madras , but rather in an unglamourous role of Anti Aircraft Cooperation. No.22 AACU Indian Air Force flew several Defiants out of the detachment based at St Thomas Mount Airfield which was (And still is) Madras' airport

The only airfield in the south to see action against Japanese - was the airport at port city of Visakhapatnam (also called Vizagapatam / Waltair / Visakha). They operated a few Wapitis belonging to a CDF and were bombed by the Japanese aircraft in April 42 during the same time that Ceylon was bombed "The Most Dangerous Moment"
Old 20th February 2012, 15:17

Buffnut453 is on a distinguished road

Hi Jagan,

Presumably the Defiants operated by 22 AACU were target tugs rather than turret-equipped fighter variants?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 20th February 2012, 18:00

JaganP is on a distinguished road

Right on Mark. All of them were the Tugs without the turrets. I doubt if any turret variant ever made it to the far east.