Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th April 2006, 08:21

Adam
Stupid Question re: shipping

Was there a register for claims of ships sunk by Kuestenflieger/kampfflieger personnel? If so has anybody ever come across it - any hints on were to start looking (other than unit and Lflt. KTBs) would be much appreciated

TIA

Adam
Old 7th April 2006, 01:31
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stupid Question re: shipping

A very broad but unrivalled reference on all ships lost in all theaters by all causes is this:

http://www.usni.org/webstore/shopexd.asp?id=46951

An excellent book about German operations with torpedo dropping aircraft is this:

http://www.hikokiwarplanes.com/torpedos.htm

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 7th April 2006, 02:37

Adam

Thanks Ed

I have the Thiele book but was after something a bit more detailed..

Will try and get my hands on the other one you mentioned

Adam
Old 7th April 2006, 10:16
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

There is a Stationery Office publication from 1947 called 'British Merchant Vessels Lost or Damanaged By Enemy Action During Second World War' it llists date, ships name, tonnage, position and cause (i.e. A.C),
Regards
Brian
Old 7th April 2006, 21:12
Super Moderator

Nick Beale will become famous soon enoughNick Beale will become famous soon enough

Other possibilities: "Chronology of the War at Sea" by Rohwer & Hummelchen (I think a new German edition came out recently but there was an older English edition); a Lloyd's of London register of lost merchant shipping (I can't remember the exact title but it was in my local public reference library); or British Admiralty station diaries which are in the UK National Archives (I have used the Mediterranean one in the past).
Old 8th April 2006, 01:59

George Hopp

Quote:
There is a Stationery Office publication from 1947 called 'British Merchant Vessels Lost or Damanaged By Enemy Action During Second World War' it llists date, ships name, tonnage, position and cause (i.e. A.C),
Another book issued by the Stationary Office in 1947 was a book entitled "British and Foreign merchant vessels lost or damaged by enemy action during Second World War." It is compiled by nation of registry, and includes fishing boats damaged and sunk by enemy action. There is even a section of losses of M/Vs and fishing boats lost but not to enemy action. Hmmm, even Switzerland lost 2 M/Vs during the war.

Last edited by George Hopp; 8th April 2006 at 02:46.
Old 8th April 2006, 15:47

Marc BENOIT

Hello,

At the Bundesarchiv in Freiburg, there are lists of claims of ships damaged or sunk by the Luftwaffe from the outbreak of the war till approx the end of 1940.
They give date , unit , tonnage , place , bombs used , damage
I can check the exact archiv quotes if you want.

Another source could be the Lloyds list of vessels lost during WW2 if you can acceed to it ( unfortunately, I couldn't yet)

Hope this helps Marc
Old 9th April 2006, 07:40

Adam

Marc,

Thant's exactly what I was after. As part of my thesis I want to look at claims v. actual losses so the books everyone mentioned are a great start - hopefully the Freiburg stuff will balance it

Thanks again guys

Adam
Old 9th April 2006, 15:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale will become famous soon enoughNick Beale will become famous soon enough

The Lloyds register I mentioned was "Lloyd's War Losses - the Second World War Vol.1: British, Allied and Neutral Merchant Vessels Sunk or Destroyed by War Causes" (Lloyds of London Press Ltd., 1989)