Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st September 2011, 11:38
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Any new LW bios in the offing?

http://www.thetatteredflag.com/our-books/50.html
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:27

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,
speaking of Luftwaffe bios, can anyone tell me if the Tate biography of Hans-Joachim Marseille is any good?
I am hoping to replace my old Kurowski (Schiffer publications) one with it.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:34

David N is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hector View Post
Hi guys,
speaking of Luftwaffe bios, can anyone tell me if the Tate biography of Hans-Joachim Marseille is any good?
I am hoping to replace my old Kurowski (Schiffer publications) one with it.
The Robert Tate book on Hans-Joachim Marseille (which I have) is not a biography as such. From the jacket:

"Tate takes a look at Marseille's personality, flying skills, physical attributes, tactics, and victories through the words of historians and the men who flew with and against Marseille in the North African desert."

The book examines the accuracy of Marseille's victory claims-a controversy for many decades. There are many photos not in previous books. The author has long collected Marseille items. On page 78, there is a photo of Marseille with his mother and fiancee.

Tate gives a lot of credit to the Allied pilots. He demonstrates convincingly that Marseille faced tough opponents.

A segment of the book looks into Marseille's "Jazz/Swing Connection." It is well-known that he was a fan of jazz. Tate does not claim that Marseille was really a member of the Berlin Swing Jugend but observes that there are many photos of Marseille "with his shawl, long hair, and shag pipe."

To me, this book is much better than Kurowski's.
Old 3rd September 2011, 00:26

krichter33 is on a distinguished road

Tate's book is excellent!
Old 4th September 2017, 21:04

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Guys:

It's my annual quest for new reading material;

I know Meimberg, Schuck & Fischer have released their War Bios(I'm still hoping Meimberg's gets translated into English...); are there any others 'in the pipeline' that I should anticipate?

Thx

NM
And it's been the better part of half a decade; time for my intermittent question about 'new' War Memoirs coming down the pipeline that I have not snapped up already;