Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 5th September 2017, 06:52
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Mediterranean Air War by Chris Shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Apologies for the late response, but RE: the original 'Fighters Over..' I did not know they were 'supposed' to be a trilogy.

And since we're on this subject is there an expected date of release for Volume 4? I have cleared a spot on my book case in anticipation.
Nick,

From the front flap of the dust jacket of FOTD - The first volume of a trilogy, Fighters Over the Desert tells in detail...

Col.
Old 5th September 2017, 16:50

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Nick,

From the front flap of the dust jacket of FOTD - The first volume of a trilogy, Fighters Over the Desert tells in detail...

Col.
I've never been able to read a version with the dust jacket intact, to tell the truth. The inter-library loans usually don't hold up for too long.
Old 5th September 2017, 18:07

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I've never been able to read a version with the dust jacket intact, to tell the truth. The inter-library loans usually don't hold up for too long.
Interestingly enough the Arco Publishing Company version [the American edition], omits mention of the book being part of a trilogy. Its front flap reads as follows:
Quote:
Fighters Over the Desert tells in detail ....
so perhaps plans changed between the UK and US publication.
Old 17th September 2017, 00:35
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

In the middle of August four team members (Chris, Giovanni, Russell and myself) gathered at Chris' house, along with John Davies (publisher) for lunch. And a discussion of MAW4 and MAW5. It was decided that MAW4 will go from May 14, 1943 to the fall of Rome, June 5, 1944. And MAW5 will go from there to the end of the war. Both MAW4 and MAW5 are covering only the tactical operations in Italy, Southern France and the Balkans. This will include the heavy bomber operations to the end of October 1943, except for Ploesti (Tidal Wave). The strategic operations, starting with Tidal Wave and continuing from November 1, 1943 will go in MAW6 and a probable MAW7.

It was also decided that we will aim to have MAW4 available at the July 2018 Duxford Air Show. And MAW5 sometime in 2019, possibly more than a year after MAW4. No timeline for MAW6/7 was discussed, that being too far in the future.

Another pleasant note from the meeting was the news that the original print run for MAW1 has now sold out. And John was able to organize a small additional printing of it in a manner which will allow him to continue small print runs to keep it in print.

Enjoy!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 17th September 2017 at 00:41. Reason: added a detail
Old 17th September 2017, 08:32

Lagarto

Great news, thank you. I'm looking forward to the next volumes.
Old 18th September 2017, 11:39

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Frank
I wish you and your colleagues "long life"!!!
Steve
Old 19th September 2017, 05:59

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Thank you Frank
I wish you and your colleagues "long life"!!!
Steve
That goes double for me! Great news!