Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st August 2012, 03:09

Russell is on a distinguished road
Re: Mediterranean Air War by Chris Shores

Hello to all.

Thanks to those who have said nice things about the book. I spoke with Chris recently about Andreas's idea about an errata page. We are fully in support of that idea, and the next volumes have been planned to have such a section in them. We would be pleased to hear of any corrections or additional information, and not only about Volume 1 but also about information that you think may be unknown to us for the rest of the period being covered. If anyone wishes to kick off a thread on the subject go for it.

Volume 2 is being worked on. we all hope it will be quicker than Vol 1, which I started working on with Chris in 1985.

Regards

Russell
Old 1st August 2012, 08:41

AndreasB is on a distinguished road

Hi Russell

I will supply you with some information either here, or maybe do it on my blog.

You've done a great job, and produced a book that is truly helpful.

If I may have one quibble/question, why did you not go to 6 February 1942, the day ground operations ended at the Gazala Line? It is hugely inconvenient to me to lack these 6 days.

All the best

Andreas
Old 27th August 2012, 17:56

Felix C is on a distinguished road

Just read through page 107(Jan 1941) and note the creditable performance of the Italians until the advent of the Hurricane in squadron strength.

Is it me or is the SM.79 a sturdy aircraft capable of suriving quite a bit of damage as I see more force landed than shot down by Gladiators or Hurricanes? Or is it more a result of the performance of .303 ammunition?

Is it not strange how some pilots mention combat but there is no corresponding report or even sortie by the opposing side? Is there still much missing in terms of documents from this theater and time frame? I do not mean over reporting of kills/probables/damages but that no combat occurred at all.

I am glad someone mentioned what FTR means in a post regarding another book by Mr. Shores. I intended to ask here.

I understand the book addresses losses and damages incurred by aircraft not actually sorties executed. Is that correct? There are references to other missions were no losses resulted so I presume there were many more executed where there was no damage and so no reference in the book.

Last edited by Felix C; 27th August 2012 at 22:27.
Old 21st April 2013, 05:05

http://www.amazon.com/History-Medite..._sc_p_t_1_1D51

vol. 2
Old 21st April 2013, 19:52
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for one thing, I hope the coverage of the USAAF units includes more details on the US Photographic Units, i.e., the 3rd Photographic Group.
Old 21st April 2013, 20:14
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Kaki3152,

I hope so too. But as far as I know they never operated with 9th Air Force, so they will not appear in Vol 2. When we get to Vol. 3 (Torch to May 43) they should start to appear. I have already found a statistical report for the 12th AF Photo units which should be helpful. But I doubt that we will list every mission that the photo units flew; far too many.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 23rd April 2013, 02:59

NickM

So as I understand it (and I might be wrong), is the air war during 'Torch' to the Capture of Tunis going to be it's own separate volume?
Old 23rd April 2013, 04:18

The link to Volume 2 above indicates through March 1943 but the overall title of the series is MAW 1940-1945. I would wager there is a vol.3.
Old 23rd April 2013, 18:08
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Vol. 2 covers Feb 1942 to March 1943 in the NE African theater. Thus it is a direct continuation of the events in Vol. 1. Vol. 3 will cover Nov 1942 to March 1943 in the NW African theater, and then continue on the mid May and the German surrender in Tunisia. Vol. 4 will pick up at the surrender, and probably go to Dec 1943. Vol. 5 will cover the tactical air war from the end of Vol. 4 hopefully to the end of the war. Vol. 6 will cover the strategic air war from wherever we decide to pick it up, and earlier parts will be in the corresponding earlier volumes. If we can keep going, Vol. 7 will cover the landings in southern France, and go until the armies there join up with the forces which landed at Normandy.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 24th April 2013, 14:28

Lagarto

That's an impressive plan! Thank you, I'm looking forward to all the seven volumes.