Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 20th September 2005, 03:14

Adam
Unhappy Auf Gefallen Kameraden

In the early hours of Tuesday, Australian Eastern Standard Time, Newbie, a member of this board passed away after a brief but intense struggle with a terminal illness.

He is survived by his wife and children.
Old 20th September 2005, 05:41
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Auf Gefallen Kameraden

This is a shocking news. I remember his recent questions regarding Heinkel seaplanes.

May he rest in peace.
Old 20th September 2005, 20:27
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

That is very unfortunate, I am very sorry to hear that he passed away so quickly.

His family and friends have my sympathy.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 20th September 2005, 22:28

George Hopp

Thank you for passing on this information -- sad as it is. Far too often, Internet friends simply disappear into the ether, never to be heard from again.
Old 20th September 2005, 23:15
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

It is indeed sad about his passing.

Perhaps these passings, hopefully infrequent, can serve to remind us all about the fragilness of life, our "internet friends" and why we should treasure them. Be nice and cool, for tomorrow may bring something totally unexpected.
Old 21st September 2005, 00:27

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry to learn of the passing of a colleague. My condolences to his wife and children.

However would someone please put up his real name ? I would not like to be remembered solely by my nickname.

Martin Gleeson.
Old 21st September 2005, 02:13

Adam

His real name was David Newbie. His interest was German maritime operations and units and he an I - along with the greatfully received help and advise from Dave Wadman - were working on KuFlGr 906.

I have passed on to his wife the best wishes and sympathy of all members of the board and she has asked me to in return pass on her gratitude, not only for your kind thoughts and words but also for the efforts and answers you provided David in the last weeks of his life. David wasn't a big hitter in terms of postings or knowledge but what he lacked in expertese he made up for in enthusiasm and honesty and the exchange of information and ideas, and even some of the arguments and associated egos on the board made a difference to the quality of his life. Right until the end I would print out all recent messages posted on the boards, including print-outs of some of Ed Wests ebay links, to take with me when I visited him in hospital. As his wife noted, it made all the difference to him and gave him something to focus on and take his mind away from the terrible situation he was facing.

A more gentle, genuine and honest man you would not find. He is to be laid to rest on Sunday in a private ceremony.

Should you be so moved his family have asked that you donate something (however small) to your local cancer research centre as a sort of 'flowers-in-lieu' gesture.

David Newbie, may he Rest In Peace.
Old 21st September 2005, 19:49
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

I am attaching my deepest sympathies. Some things are inevitable but sometimes they happen too soon.
Ruy, I think this forum is slightly inapropriate for this thread. Perhaps you may add an obit subforum, and if Adam and David's wife agrees, perhaps you may add a short bio and a photo of David.
Old 22nd September 2005, 02:50

George Hopp

PHP Code:
 RuyI think this forum is slightly inapropriate for this thread
I'm sorry, Franek, but on this matter I completely disagree with you. I think it is only right that in the midst of our 20/20 hindsight pontifications on lives lived and lost, and on destruction and death; we are reminded that none of us has a mortgage on life. And, in recognition of this, we should, as John Beaman noted, always espouse our causes and our cases with gentleness and civility. So when we do pass, we do not disappear like tears in the rain; but are remembered for lives well lived, and as members whose contributions to this site were always a joy to anticipate and to read.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:03
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

You have completely misunderstood what I have written. I mean Lw discussion subforum is not appropriate for such postings, especially becuase we have community subforums.