Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st April 2005, 04:02

mkeefer is on a distinguished road
New Member - Uniform Question

My father brought back German uniform items in WWII. I am trying to identify the cap in the attached photograph. I have been told it is a cold weather hat used by the Luftwaffe ground forces on the eastern front. I would like to find a source where I could verify this so my son's will know what is being passed on to them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mkeefer; 2nd April 2005 at 03:03.
Old 1st April 2005, 13:16

mikeshilton
Re: New Member - Uniform Question

The hat is indeed a Luftwaffe "winter cap" as used on the Russian front etc.the following is taken from the "Ruptured Duck" militaria web site:-
This cap is made of soft, off-white natural lambskin, with turned up side earflaps faced with multicolored (whites, greys and browns) fleece (e.g. faced on each ear flap, and inside the cap as well). The flaps connect atop the center of the cap with a loop on the end of the underside left flap, and a large grey bakelite button on the underside of the end of the right flap. The length of the cap’s fleece varies across the cap – the maker was apparently not concerned with an exact length match on all sections, and some areas have straighter, longer hair, while the side panel fleece tends more toward a somewhat more gnarled – clumpy – look possibly also due to light soiling). The suede-like leather exterior is definitely soiled - this cap definitely saw use. A nice, machine embroidered Luftwaffe second pattern eagle (white thread on a fliegerblau (blue/grey) felt base) is hand applied to the front of the cap, with a “puffy” cockade applied beneath the bird – this due to all of the backing being tucked behind the bird in the style preferred by Luftwaffe personnel. The visor’s smooth leather-fitted topside is also soiled (especially around the front edge) and has angled lines caused by two bends in the internal stiffener, otherwise it is quite solid. The visor underside is covered in fabric rather than leather, and this fabric is also soiled. The visor is actually positioned a bit above the bottom edge of the forehead area, so that there is a narrow, vertical forehead section overshadowed by the visor when the cap is in wear on the head. Handwritten in blue ink on this section, the owner (presumably) left his service number “S.4617”. The approximate size 57 interior of the cap is in pretty decent condition – the fleece hairs are long, with a creamy yellow tint and are not matted. A very nice, solid example of this type of Luftwaffe winter headgear.
$370.00
Old 1st April 2005, 15:17

mkeefer is on a distinguished road
Re: New Member - Uniform Question

Thank you for the info.