Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 4th December 2007, 01:10

judyc
Re: Eagle Editions' Fw 190 Dora vol. 1 book now shipping

Hi Guys;
We've been getting some responses from the signatories of Jerry's book on his work on the Dora. We have posted some of their letters on our site at:
http://www.eagle-editions.com/dorareviews.htm
We have known General Cescotti and his lovely wife, having visited them in their home in Germany many, many times. They are terrific folks and he is a very knowledgeable man about the Luftwaffe, the men and the machines!
While you are on our site, we have posted the four newest EagleCals based on Jerry's Dora book at:
http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal108-111.htm

Have fun!
Cheers,
Judy
Old 11th December 2007, 17:33

O.Menu

Hi Jerry,

Your recent book, Fw 190D Vol 1, is absolutely splendid! And as you can imagine I ran to read about JG301 markings

The good point is that we come more or less to the same conclusion J The alternate vertical white bar marking on “yellow 15” is a nice surprise. You have hawk-eye Jerry!

There is indeed one thing that as astonish me… Same as you and since it’s impossible to make the difference between green and blue on B&W photos, I firstly though that the groups horizontal color was in same order as it was usually for the fighter “staffeln” ( ie: white for the first, red for the second, yellow for the third, blue for the fourth and green for the Geschwaderstab)… But when I saw this blue horizontal bar on the NASM’s Ta 152 it seems obvious that blue was for the stab, when green left for the fourth group… Further more you explain us that Auffhammer developed this system marking proud of his bomber pilot background, and it is interesting to note that in KG units, blue is the Geschwaderstab color… On the other way it seems that guys from the NASM says that the Ta152 blue horizontal bar is a post war marking… But this looks simply impossible to me, I cant imagine a British soldier painting from his own a blue horizontal bar in correct size and position just before over-painting all this with a grey paint… Really hard to imagine…

So thanks a lot for this first volume that we will open again and again for so many years J

Olivier.
Old 16th February 2008, 04:50

WEISNER is on a distinguished road

Greetings! I spoke with Jerry tonight, and he tells me the chapter on the JV44 "Papageinstaffel" Dora's is prety much wrapped up.
We can look forward to approximately 60 pages in this chapter alone, Including at least 14 new photos.
This is subject to change if any new photos or info should turn up.
Jerry reports work on Vol II is progressing nicely, And from what I understand.... we can all look forward to another great Pilot signed, Delux edition to be released when Vol II is wrapped up in the near future!
Kevin
Old 27th February 2008, 04:57

cobrachen is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a question regarding this book. I have another Fw 190D book from another publisher which does not have the details of engine and supercharger information I was looking for. Is this book included information of the supercharger, colling ring design and the performance and problems back then?

Thanks.
Old 27th February 2008, 17:21
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrachen View Post
Hi,

I have a question regarding this book. I have another Fw 190D book from another publisher which does not have the details of engine and supercharger information I was looking for. Is this book included information of the supercharger, colling ring design and the performance and problems back then?

Thanks.
No, it does not. This is more of a personal and operational narrative with emphasis on individual machines. It does have a nice section on the different type of upper cowlings fitted at different times by different manufacturers.
Old 28th February 2008, 04:09
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Too bad I´d also hope for a book that addressed cobrachen´s questions. But that would probably require an author with doctorate in other than Antomism...
Old 28th February 2008, 10:50

Griffon is on a distinguished road

cobrachen, you are referring to the D. Herrmann book or the JaPo books?
I got the D. Herrmann book some time ago but did not find much time to really dive deeper into it, so I cannot say if it would be helpful concerning your questions;
www.spitfireperformance.com does have a nice article on Dora performance testing though;
maybe head there and see if this is useful for you...
Old 28th February 2008, 17:09

Jerry Crandall

Gentlemen;
Volume Two of our book will have a lot of technical information, including an entire chapter on problems and complaints such as cowling change suggestions, radiator issues, cowling flap problems and more. There are a lot of charts, graphs and documents regarding engine performance with different settings and with/wo MW 50 etc. Most of these have been published and to a lot of people not all that interesting, and most cannot read them. However, we will publish some of this information that we feel is new and somewhat interesting.
Additionally there will be a chapter on some select parts, development testing and problems dealing with subtypes such as the D-11 and D-13.
Cheers,
Jerry