Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 10th August 2018, 20:17

Elmer Fudd is on a distinguished road
Hawker Typhoon Book - Help Please!

Afternoon All,

First post from a newbie, I came across this site by accident whilst surfing for books on 2nd WW Allied Aircraft which are a bit of a hobby of mine. It looks like a really great resource and I'm looking forward to spending some time on here.

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help me find a book which I read some 40yrs ago as a teenager that I borrowed it from my local library. It was I believe a true account written by a Typhoon pilot who flew after D-Day. I have a fair few books about the Typhoon but cannot seem to find this one and would love to try to find a copy to read again.

The only thing I remember about it was that he was shot down over occupied territory but somehow ended up in the hands of a small group of Latvian (I think?) soldiers who were being forced to fight by the Germans. They struck a deal whereby they would get him back to the front-line on the understanding that he then helped them defect safely to the Allies. The main reason for me wanting to find this book was that during their travels back to the front-line the convoy they were travelling in was attacked by, you guessed it, Typhoons, and his account of just how terrifying this attack was being on the receiving end has stayed with me ever since and I would love to read it again.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction of who the author and/or publisher might have been I would be most grateful - thanks.