Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th October 2008, 22:33

Michal
Shot down Polish plane November 29 1938

Hello,

bit out of thread, but I decided to post it here When I came accross archive documents of HQ 3rd Czechoslovakian Army from November 1938, there is notice that on November 29 1938 should Polish AAA mistakenly shot down Polish Military Plane on Polish territory nearby Slovakian village Kyčera. It is only inteligence report from Czechoslovakian Side but I am really interested if somebody can conform this information. This accident took place in period of small Czechoslovakian-Polish Border War in November 1938.

I would like to know as well if there is any OOB of Polish Air Force from this Period.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks for help.
Old 28th October 2008, 10:38

crolick is on a distinguished road
Re: Shot down Polish plane November 29 1938

Michal - try http://www.dws.org.pl/ or any other Polish forum. I think those are better suited places to search for you answer.
Old 28th October 2008, 12:38
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Crolick

We can't all read Polish (!) and I would like to know more about this incident.

Cheers
Brian
Old 28th October 2008, 21:15
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

No fatalities. I do not recall the incident being described anywhere, and it would not be that easy to find, as several units took part in Zaolzie operation.
Old 29th October 2008, 12:13

VoyTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
small Czechoslovakian-Polish Border War in November 1938.
That's very interesting, never heard of it!
Polish troops occupied Zaolzie region in early October 1938. Regardless of what you might think about the political background to it, this was not a war in any meaning of the word: there was an agreement signed by the two governments, Czechoslovak troops withdrew peacefully and in order, and Polish troops marched in.
If the date of the incident is correct, it took place over a month afterwards.
Old 30th October 2008, 08:47

Michal

Just some small notices about military clashes between in November 1938 between Polish and Czechoslovakian Armies. Zaolzie (or Zaolší) is not only one region which was taken by Polish Troops: After Munich capitulation of Czechoslovakia, Poland exploited the situation to satisfy its territorial claims in Slovakia. These related principally to the border areas of Čadca, Orava, Spiš and Tatranská Javorina, all the subjects of past disputes. The new definition of the state frontier in accordance with Polish Note of the 1st November 1938 came up against resistance from the local population. In retaliation, the leaders of the Polish State decided militarily to occupate the territories claimed several days before the agreed date of evacuation. This led, on the 25th November, to a military clash between the Polish and Czechoslovakian Troops near Čadca, and a second military conflict took place on November 27th in Vysoké Tatry (High Tatras) near Ždiar. The interrupted negotians of the mixed Czechoslovakian-Polish Delimitation Commission after military clashes were resumed and culminated in signing of delimitation protocol on November 30th 1938. According to Czechoslovakian Politicians, Diplomats and Soldiers it was really "small war" with dead casualties on both sides. So, your comment oof October 1938 and no "small war" is totally out of historical true. Question of supposedly shot down POlish Plane is straight connected with military clashes in November 1938.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:10

VoyTech is on a distinguished road

I stand corrected. Silly of me to have followed the usual cliche of "Zaolzie" as the sole Polish-Czechoslovak border dispute of 1938. BTW, strange that what the Poles call Zaolzie, the Czechs call Zaolsi. I would have expected it to be some sort of "Predolsi" from your perspective.
As regards "war", well, we obviously understand the word differently.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:12

Michal

Zaolší - Předolší: well, from geographical perspective it should be "Předolší" but in fact Zaolší is translation of Polish name Zaolzie, because there is not any geographical term in Czech Language for this region. And Zaolší is used commonly.
Old 1st November 2008, 14:25

crolick is on a distinguished road

Michal - have you read this book? Maybe there is something about the accident you are looking for:

Composition of PAF:
- 5 fighter escadrilles (111, 112, 121, 122, 123)
- 2 bomber
escadrilles (21, 24)
reconnaissance escadrille (22)
- 1 army-cooperation escadrille (23, 26)
- 1 army-cooperation platoons (II/29)
Old 1st November 2008, 23:24
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Thanks Michal ....

.... For the background to this incident. I doubt whether many guys over here are knowledgeable about these 'small war' clashes in Eastern Europe pre-WWII. Most interesting and informative.

Cheers
Brian