Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th June 2015, 22:22

Schlageter is on a distinguished road
Fw190D-9 with rare letter markings

Hello all,

I was wondering about the identity of this Fw190D-9 with rare letter markings. The picture from JaPo's Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D Camouflage & markings Part I shows unfortunately only an incomplete code, xx + WE.
From the caption I can gather that this aircraft was most probable neither assigned to a test facility nor are the letters (in blue or red) part of a Stammkennzeichen! The only Dora with letter markings I am aware of is T6 + AA from Stab/SG 2, albeit this is known only from a Flugbuch entry!
From the camouflage of the pictured Dora I would say it stemmed from the Weserflug or Mimetall production.

So my question is, if there are any units known which were in 1945 (partially) equipped with Fw190s and using letter codes?

Thanks in advance for any input or thoughts!

Best

Michael
Old 16th June 2015, 04:03

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
About the oil system heat exchanger access panel

With due regard to Michael's question, I wonder if I might interject a question about the circular access panel that's readily apparent on the lower cowling?

That circular panel provides access to an oil system heat exchanger, which is different and separate from the main oil cooling heat exchanger (with is up front and integrated into the annular water radiator.) In other photos, it is possible to see a large diameter oil line exiting (in a rearward direction) from the bottom of the annular oil heat exchanger and connecting to what appears to be an expansion tube before (possibly) entering the main oil storage tank.

Is that interpretation correct: the circular access panel in the cowling provides access to a supplemental expansion tube heat exchanger at the bottom of the engine?

Thanks!

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 16th June 2015 at 06:44.
Old 21st March 2017, 18:32

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road
Re: Fw190D-9 with rare letter markings

Hello Michael,
Are you interested only in Doras with letter markings or short nose versions would be of interest too (since there were some of them with letter markings towards the end of the war - various combinations of small & large letters (and in some instances digits too)).
Best,
Milos
Old 21st March 2017, 20:09

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone,

Yes, I’m slightly tardy in responding (2015!), but here I go.

Unless I am mistaken, this is Mimetal/Erfurt-built Fw 190 D-9, WNr. 500030, RC+WE, possibly last with Ergänzungsstaffel/FlÜG 1, and captured at Fl.Horst Hildesheim after April 1945. Gerhard Stemmer on the Luftwaffe Research Group is credited for this data.

Respectfully,

Steve Sheflin
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:37

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's ever to late to find out about something new.
May I ask Mr Sheflin if the RC+WE represents a pure StKz or it's different type of code and then maybe RC could be different size?
Best,
Milos