Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th April 2020, 15:12

hawker.1966 is on a distinguished road
Help please FW190 crash site in and around the North-West of Mohrin airport

Hi
Would anyone be able to help with a crash site of a FW190 (I think a D variant) as I have acquired a relic control grip but sadly no werk number for this aircraft, the only information that I have is that the grip was found at Mohrin auxiliary airfield near Konigsberg airbase, the previous owner feels that it was destroyed at the airport during the raid, Nachtjagdger1 was stationed in 1945 at the airfield in Konigsberg Neumark.

I was wondering if anyone would have any information on the FW190 that was destroyed by the Russian Pilot Ivan Kozhedub on the 10/2/45 as some research shows that this aircraft was destroyed North-West of Mohrin airport, would anyone possibly this aircraft's exact location?

Any information on Mohrin airfield would also be very much appreciated.
Attachment 19208
Old 11th April 2020, 11:24

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road
Re: Help please FW190 crash site in and around the North-West of Mohrin airport

From the following document:

Luftwaffe Airfields 1935 - 1945 by Henry L. deZeng IV

Mohrin[ (GER) (a.k.a. today: Moryn) (52 48 50 N – 14 22 30 E) General: operational airfield (Einsatzhafen) in present-day Poland 55 km NNW of Frankfurt/O., 39 km E of Eberswalde, 9 km WNW of Barwalde and 5.5 km SSW of the village of Mohrin: laid out in the late 1930’s and used mainly as a practice field for trainers. Surface and Dimensions: grass surface in good condition measuring approx. 985 x 960 meters (1075 x 1050 yards) and circular in shape. No paved runway. Fuel and Ammunition: both were available as needed. Infrastructure: had 4 workshop sheds and 6 barrack-type buildings off the N boundary, the latter in a woods. The nearest rail connection was 6.5 km to the N in Butterfelde.Dispersal: there were 8 aircraft bays cut into the woods off the W boundary and 9 more in woods off the E boundary. Operational Units: I./JG 11 (Jan 45); elements of I./KG 200 (Jan 45). School Units: Arbeitsplatz for Schule/FAR 12 then FFS A/B 12 (Königsberg/Neumark). Station Commands: none identified. Station Units (on various dates – not complete): none identified.
Sources: AFHRA A5258 p.735 (21 Jan 45); chronologies; BA-MA; NARA; PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk
Kind regards,
Timon
[/font]
Old 11th April 2020, 14:45

hawker.1966 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help please FW190 crash site in and around the North-West of Mohrin airport

Hi TigerTimon
Thank you for your much appreciated reply,there is some good information there on the Mohrin airfield some that i havent seen as yet that i will try and research further.