Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th March 2021, 18:58

Peter Cook is on a distinguished road
III./KG2 Battle of Britain Action - What Date?

Several UK sources reproduce an account of an attack on a convoy in July 1940. The origin for the account is a slim volume titled The Fatal Decisions (1956), in which Werner Kreipe, Kommandeur of III./KG 2, describes taking part in an attack on a British convoy by Do 17s of III/KG2, without being specific about the date. The UK sources assign the account to an attack on a convoy on July 10th. However, according to the biographical details in deZeng and Stankey's Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries, Kreipe was transferred from his position as Gruppe Kommandeur of III/KG2 on June 26, taking a senior position with the RLM's Training Command as Abt.Chef, RLM/Ausbildungswesen, so he is unlikely to have flown in any capacity during the Battle of Britain. KG2 also took part in convoy attacks on July 4th and the 7th. Is it possible that Kreipe's account refers to one of these earlier dates?
Old 15th March 2021, 16:00
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: III./KG2 Battle of Britain Action - What Date?

Possibly off Dunkirk May/June 1940?
Old 15th March 2021, 19:40

So almost certainly not a Battle of Britain action?
Old 15th March 2021, 22:12
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

It would appear that Kreipe had left III./KG 2 before the end of June and the first III./KG 2 shipping claim after that came on 7 July 1940
Old 16th March 2021, 10:34

Thanks for confirming Chris.
Old 16th March 2021, 12:40

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

According to a Flugbuch I have from the unit, it was actively engaged against the convoys on the 8th, 9th and 10th July as well, all taking place in the afternoon of those days mentioned. Nothing for the 7th in there though!
Old 16th March 2021, 12:57

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter - probably a stupid question (I'm very much an amateur at this!), have you got Ulf Balke's history of KG2?

There's heaps in there regarding shipping attacks across that period although I have to use Google translate which is not easy. I did look for anything relating to Kreipe and couldn't see any mention of him around that period. If you haven't got his history I'd be happy to try a rough translate of any specific dates to help - that said the 10th Jul is over several pages!
Old 16th March 2021, 19:55

Siko, I have Balke's book, which is very useful — especially his coverage of 10th July — but it doesn't answer the question re. the op that Kreipe described. My objective was to confirm that it didn't take place during the BoB period, even though some BoB author's quote Kreipe's account. I am now satisfied that he was describing an op that took place before 10th July.