Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd April 2021, 22:00
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help identifying Hauptmann from IV/KG 27

John and Rémy,

JOHN: My gratitude again for checking. You are probably right. He may have had health issues, since he was operated (35 min., according to his letter) on November 1943. I will try to transcribe what I understand of the German language (which is only fragments, sadly).

No Rémy, I am talking about Hauptmann Maximilian (Max) Dehn, from IV/KG 27.
From De ZENG and all (2021 version):
DEHN, Maximilian. (DOB: 17.05.10). (W.B.K. Hanau). 01.04.43 promo to Hptm. (Kr.O.).(RDA 01.07.42). 07.06.44 Hptm., Verb.St. Lfl.Kdo. 4 WIA - Ju W 34 Hi (CQ+44) crashed 8 km KM S of Deborzyn (Pl.Qu. 10134).

According to one of his letters he had flown some 20+ missions with IV Gruppe. Why he was sent to the Lazarett is a mistery, but guess that John pointed me to a health issue, rather an incident or accident (which I tought previously).

Since he had survived the Ju W.34 accident, I believe he may have survived WW2 as well. Checked WAST-NARA and got no positive result for a Death Card, so he may have survived. Am not aware of any more details.

Adriano
Old 3rd April 2021, 22:16
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Adriano, of which W-34 accident are you speaking ?,

Rémi
Old 4th April 2021, 12:04
Alter Hase

Rémi, bonjour.

On the 07.06.44 Hptm. Maximilian DEHN was a passenger on board of the Ju W 34 Hi (CQ+44) that crashed 8 km KM S of Deborzyn (Pl.Qu. 10134). It belonged to Verb.St. Lfl.Kdo. and there were 4 WIA and 2 KIA (including the pilot).

Am not sure if he was returning to the IV Gruppe of KG 27, if he was on transit to a new posting, or if he belonged to that unit.

A.
Old 4th April 2021, 14:32
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

I found it, location is given as Pralea, the Wn of the W-34 = 304, could you cfm the code CQ+44 ?,but seems the Fl.Verb.G 2, was used to hv these mixed codes

Dehn is given as, BP, Bodenpersonal, he could hv as BP flown some op. flights, not seldom ..
Any idea also about the cause of the crash ?

Rémi
Old 4th April 2021, 14:39
Alter Hase

Salut Rémy,

It was MATTI (our LW losses expert here) and other fellow members (those who have the NVM Losses archives) who helped me identifying this loss, on a previous post/thread.

I do thank you for the werknummer, which I did not had so far...but the codes were confirmed by either Matti and De Zeng's Files as well.

I have never seen a LW Accident or Crash report by werknummer or code...and have not found (yet) how was the WX (weather) that day. I can guess (assume) that it was either a faulty engine (most common ocurrence in the LW) or a WX problem (IFR + ice in clouds??!?!?!)

A