Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th April 2009, 22:23

toast_1 is on a distinguished road
Moving logistics of Jags. Composition of Ground support units .

I’m programming a logistics model, and I’m considering using Jagdgeschwader units as a working example. I’m using Jags because I have read that they would often frequently move to another airfield. I’ve read that these were often remote fields without facilities (maintenance etc.). Seems like this would present a logistics problem. I seem to recall reading that lessons were learned by the Luft in the Spanish war.

I’m really interested in how the ground supporting units were organized and how they moved. I assume that the pilots would simply fly their ac to the new field. How were the ground support units in Jag unit organized ? I assume there would have been mechanics, tooling, fuel, armorer’s, , security, communications ,flak units , staff to set up the tents cook the food, feed the mules, etc. ..but I not clear on any of this. Any idea of numbers of ground staff would be a big help. I’m guessing that both the composition and number of staff changed as the war progressed too . I also assume from a few pictures that I have seen that they used ac, rail, truck/vans and mules as needed (esp. later when fuel was scarce). Later they would have been traveling in the dark to avoid allied ac.

Any thoughts welcomed
Thanks
Old 14th April 2009, 22:43

SES
Re: Moving logistics of Jags. Composition of Ground support units .

You have a tiger by the tail. I would suggest that you use a USAAF unit, where documentation is more readily available. But here is one link that will give you a feel for the organization of a LW airfield:
http://www.gyges.dk/FlgHrst%20Org.pdf
and if you don't read German you are riding the tiger.
bregds
SES
www.gyges.dk
Old 14th April 2009, 23:20

Mikkel Plannthin

Or a RAF, 2nd Tactical Air Force Wing/Airfield

Mikkel
Old 15th April 2009, 00:52
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

If your interest is the Jagdgeschwader, the detailed breakdown you are looking for can be found in these KStNs, all of which are dated June 1940, so you won't be comparing apples with oranges. They are all available at BA-MA Freiburg and their reproduction contractor will be glad to make copies for you. Figure very roughly 8p. each x 4 x .5 Euro plus S&H = c.26,- Euro.

1141 Stab eines Jagdgeschwaders
1142 Stab einer Jagdgruppe
1143 Jagdstaffel
1144 Stabskompanie einer Jagdgruppe

Caution: you will need a knowledge of Luftwaffe technical terminology.

Larry
Old 10th March 2010, 04:01

oquaig is on a distinguished road

Hello Toast 1

An idea of where to look for the kind of info you are looking for, if you are willing to order the micro film form the National Archives Research service, would be T971, roll 60, file 4407/240 :"22 June-6 November 1941, daily reports fromthe air support commander concerning the supply situation and counter measures taken, experience reports, and statistics on number of aircraft lost through enemy action on the eastern front". You should be able to find the same document at the BA/MA, but I don't know how to look for it there.

Good luck
Oquaig
Old 10th March 2010, 09:45

oquaig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
If your interest is the Jagdgeschwader, the detailed breakdown you are looking for can be found in these KStNs, all of which are dated June 1940, so you won't be comparing apples with oranges. They are all available at BA-MA Freiburg and their reproduction contractor will be glad to make copies for you. Figure very roughly 8p. each x 4 x .5 Euro plus S&H = c.26,- Euro.

1141 Stab eines Jagdgeschwaders
1142 Stab einer Jagdgruppe
1143 Jagdstaffel
1144 Stabskompanie einer Jagdgruppe

Caution: you will need a knowledge of Luftwaffe technical terminology.

Larry
Hello Larry,

Actually I would like to access this the BA/MA archives myself. I would like to know just exactly how to access the files you suggest here. Would you you care to explain the process?

Thanks Oquaig
Old 10th March 2010, 11:23
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

As a rough guide for you, Otto Hintze, a Staffelkapitän, (roughly equivalent to 'Squadron Leader' in post) told me that it required about 100 back-up personnel for his single Staffel (3./Erprobungsgruppe 210) during the Battle of Britain. I thought he was a little on the high side, until I read Rossiwall's book on 5./ZG 26...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!