Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th July 2011, 07:50
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking full names and career info on three 4./JG51 pilots circa 04.40

Hello,

A roster of pilots and aircraft for 4./JG51 was captured in the diary of Lt. Johann Böhm who became a POW in England on 08.07.40. This lists 12 aircraft and 11 pilots. Eight of the pilot's full names and fixed service info with the Staffel can be determined from victory and loss info during 1940. However, three are not otherwise referenced with the unit in any source that I can determine: Uffz. FNU Blascyk, Uffz. FNU Bubenhofer and Uffz FNU Lebsanft (could this third one be a typographical error?).

Related to this, does anyone know specifically when Erich Hohagen joined 4./JG51 (I know what his RKT bio says). Also, Fw Willi Gasthaus is not on this roster, and knowing the date he joined 4./JG51 would also be very helpful. It was before the beginning of the Western Campaign of 1940.

This roster is undated, and I'm hoping that info about the three above people and when Hohagen joined the unit will help determine when it was drawn up.

Thanks for any help here.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:51
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking full names and career info on three 4./JG51 pilots circa 04.40

Hi, all

For some reason the name Erwin Blasczyk with a z pops into my head when reading your message, Larry.

Currently in London with only iPhone access to my data, so I cannot back this up with a reference just now.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 8th July 2011, 08:58
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, again

Possibly the correct spelling is Blaszczyk.

Btw - what kind of drugs did they give the guy that made the autocorrect system for iOS???
Old 8th July 2011, 12:43

Kapper is on a distinguished road

Larry

This might be one of those your looking for;

Fw. Karl Bubenhofer 3./JG 51 POW 29 Oct 40

possibly changes staffels?

Regards,

Craig...
Old 8th July 2011, 18:42
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Both of these look like good leads. Any further suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Old 9th July 2011, 01:29
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Don't have anything in my 109 file for anything remotely close to Blascyk, on the other hand the name Lebsanft only appears once. Same guy?
Bf 109E-1, 4816, Bubenhofer, Fw. Karl, , I., 3., JG 51, braune, 13 +, , , 29-Oct-40, POW due to Luftkampf with Spitfires of 602 Sq. FSA., , Kanal, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #2)-Vol.3; Prien, et al, Die Jagdfliegerverbände, IV.2, p.41; Ring, JG 51 loss list, p.45; Mason, p.465; BoB, T&N, p.703, , Gate Inn, W. Elham, 100%, F, , ,
Bf 109E, , Lebsanft, Uffz. Siegfried, , I., I., Schl.G. 1, , , , , 26-Oct-42, WIA due to infantry fire., , Lfl.4/Eins.Osten, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #7)-Vol.12, , ostwärts Gratschi, b, F, , ,
Old 9th July 2011, 12:51
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

Could this guy be at 4./JG 51 in 1940:

1944-07-26, 2./JG 27, Bf 109G-6, 412 527, Bei Landelles-et-Coupigny, 28 km südlich Saint-Lô, Absturz nach Luftkampf. Bruch 100 %.
Flugzeugführer Fw Blaszyk, Franz
Fw Blaszyk mit Fallschirm abgesprungen.

Matti
Old 9th July 2011, 20:10
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello Craig, Jim and Matti:

Since I don't know how common these names were in Germany at the time, it is hard to know if Uffz Siegfried Lebsanft and Fw Franz Blaszyk are the people referred to. Definitely could be. It seems strange that someone (Lebsanft) who would be an Uffz in probably early, 1940, would still be one in the fall of 1942, unless he had a major setback in his career, either due to an injury or poor performance. Fw Karl Bubenhofer of 3./JG51 looks like a very strong candidate, although it seems somewhat unusual that he would be not only transferred from his Staffel (4./JG51), but to another Gruppe entirely (3./JG51) within the Geschwader. Certainly not unprecedented, however.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I hope that we'll get some further inputs on the careers of these three people that might allow us to trace them to service with 4./JG51 sometime during the late-winter or spring of 1940.

Regards,
Old 10th July 2011, 18:28
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

Both Lebsaft (on 26 Oct 1942) and Blaszyk (on 26 Jul 1944) had EKM, which were given by 4./JG 51 (MOB-Nummer B65176).

I think, that this confirms the case.

Matti
Old 10th July 2011, 20:37
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Matti,

Great news! I agree. If their service numbers were issued by 4./JG51, then these must be the correct people. Do you know if Kurt Bubenhofer's number also was issued by 4./JG51? That would confirm it for all three.

As a follow on to this, does anyone know when these three people transferred into, or out of 4./JG51? Since Johann Böhm, the source of the diary info, didn't join 4./JG51 until Dec. 6, 1939, according to his interrogation report, this narrows the window for the roster to after that date, and before the beginning of the WC in mid-May, 1940.

Regards,