Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 17th January 2005, 16:39
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Die Ersten und die Letzten

Hello
I understand there were several editions of the book in German. Memoirs are often a subject of changes in time. Any comments about differencies in Galland's memoirs?
Thanks
Old 17th January 2005, 21:13
Hawk-Eye

Galland's book

As far as I know the difference between various German editions is only that some passages were deleted or not. Galland was never able to obtain from his German publishers that even errors, or printing errors, were corrected. Pocket books are mostly shortened versions. I don't really know how you can see if the text is comprehensive. A good criterion is to look at the "Spanish" part and how detailed it is (it's fairly detailed in the German original). Same thing for "Donnerkeil operation" - Galland was very proud of his achievement and gave many details including on the purely naval operations and fighting. The French edition "Les premiers et les derniers" is absolutely comprehensive : you can use it to check what's missing.

The English version is approx. 20 % shorter than the German one, especially as far as the Spanish civil war is concerned - not because of censorship or for political reasons (I think) but just to save paper and weight.

The first French version "Jusqu'au bout sur nos Messerschmitt ("All the Way on our Messerschmitts), published 1954 by Robert Laffont, was 60 % shorter than the original (no censorship, just saving paper). So the original is 2.5. times longer (+ 150 %). The countless translating errors are absolutely TERRIBLE : for example on 21 June 1941 A. Galland was sitting on an "ejection seat" and wearing two parachutes ("my second parachute...").

Fortunately a comprehensive, correct French translation (NO cuts, no translating errors) was published 1985 (see above).

Most translations contain many errors. Sitck to the original if you can.
Old 18th January 2005, 15:32
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Galland's book

Thank you, fortunatelly I am not at all interested in Spain but loss of Donnerkeil details is another thing. I will gladly go for an original version but first I must to know which one was best! Usually I prefer first editions as they are most often less altered and close to original manuscript, is it the case of Galland memoirs? Anybody on this forum have read them?
Old 21st January 2005, 16:24
Hawk-Eye

English translation of "The First and the Last"

Book "The First and the Last", English edition, translated by Mervyn Savill (he confessed!), first published 1955 by Methuen, London. 1986 reprint by Champlin Museum Press, Lesa, Arizona.

I had a look many years ago and I made a few notices. I'm not especially interested in the ENGLISH edition, the original being German. I probably did not even check chapter 8 (1940 French Campaign) systematically.

Page 43, line 1 : the sit-down war. Everybody in the world calls it "the phoney war" (in English). Clearly the translator had never heard of WW II. It is very often so.

Page 45, line 8 : "He rather clumsily avoided action". Wrong. Correct is : "He... took evasive action". (The action had begun, he was in the middle of it. To avoid action was out of the question.).

P. 47, lines 2-3 : TERRIBLE! "I had... shot away part of his tail". German Text : Der Heckschütze war ausgefallen. English : The tail gunner had been put out of action. [(He was either badly wounded or dead)]. Here you can see that so-called "translators" who look perfect never hesitate to write nonsense. This one certainly translated much too fast and didn't bother to CHECK his own translation, which is vital but doesn't give you more money.

Middle of this page : "Again we drew A.A. fire". Correct translation : "The sole result was wild 20 mm-AA fire". This, too, enrages me for the "translator" made the text and the translation simpler, taking away the spirit and the guts. It sounds much duller than the original. What's more, he simply dumped a whole sentence and Galland's comment : "Scheibenkleister!" - which jokingly means "Scheisse!", shit and is used only in order NOT to write or say that bad word. I don't know how you do this in English, perhaps "Sh.... shoeshine!" or some. The missing passage reads :

"We flew a bit to the North along the railroad in order to ask at a second station. Sh...oeshine! A.A. again."

The "translator" deleted also the mention that Rödel dived towards the first station IN ORDER TO READ ITS NAME (in order to know where the hell they were). This makes the whole, humorous passage impossible to understand correctly.

No wonder the English edition is about 20 % shorter, some passages are missing everywhere. So you see there are some differences : a « translation » is not always a translation (in most cases it’s not).

End of this paragr. : "I pulled at my brakes like mad." "Pulled"???

Same page, 2nd par., 3rd line : "revolvers" instead of pistols. Of course they carried PISTOLS, which you have to cock first before they can fire - in a narrow cockpit this is safer.

The passage about col. Ibel being shot down at Dunkerque was shortened too and, as usual, the whole humour was dumped (the "translator" probably didn't understand). This begins with the Spits being "sure of their target". "Zielbewusst" does not mean that, it means : determined, with (great) determination, without being distracted by anything. Here is the original version, which disappeared completely in the "translation" except Ibel coming back "on foot" :

"Because of this unusual way of moving he had got a "Blasenleiden" - at his feet".

The word "Blasenleiden" is very ambiguous and this is intentional. At the time the young pilots including Galland considered Ibel incredibly old, some sort of dinausor from WW I. So it's not surprising that Galland jokingly suggests a "bladder ailment" for the German "Blase" means "bladder" and also "blisters" at the feet (when you walked too much and too hard like poor Ibel). So Ibel had a "Blase ailment", in fact at his feet. A "translator" who deletes all difficult passages is NOT a translator but a phoney. This is common practice.

The masterpiece is on page 52, next to last line : "Kesselring pinned the Knight's Cross on my tunic...". He didn't even know nor notice that they put it around their neck! Incredible! Did ever anybody protest?

I fear the whole English version of this famous book is of the same quality.

(Posting repeated under "Reviews")