Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th January 2013, 18:25
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Wing Commanders in the Battle of Britain

Wing Commanders in the Battle of Britain
Hi guys

A number of Wing Commanders flew fighter ops during the Battle of Britain (authorised or otherwise), people such as Basil Embrey (25 Sqn), Charles Beamish (brother of Victor), Harry Broadhurst, Batchy Atcherley, and of course Stanley Vincent.

There were probably others.
What do we know about these seniors?

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th January 2013, 20:45

Allan125 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wing Commanders in the Battle of Britain

Hi Brian

According to Basil Embry himself in "Mission Completed" he took over the Wittering sector in December 1940, when his Nightfighter Wing at Rochford was disbanded (this was composed of 264 (Defiant) and 151 (Hurricane) Squadrons), which he had taken over in October 1940 - so when he became OC of this Nightfighter Wing the BoB was already virtually over, and 25 Squadron was in the Wittering Sector, using Beaufighters, so, by his own admission he could not have flown with 25 Squadron in the BoB?

cheers

Allan
Old 13th January 2013, 22:31
Alter Hase

Hi Allan

You are correct, of course, re Basil Embry - my eye caught page 184 of Mission Completed (paperback), when he mentions that he began to operate with 25 Squadron, assuming he was writing about BoB period.

Nonetheless, he appears to have flown some night fighter ops post BoB.

Cheers
Brian
Old 14th January 2013, 10:55

Hi Brian

I must admit to a personal interest in Basil Embry - also my copy is the hardeback 1st edition 1957 version - he was my late father's C.O. at A.A.F.C.E. Fontainebleau, and signed his NATO certificate of service.

We were one of the families mentioned in "Headaches" - "..many British families were forced to seek houses in neighbouring villages and towns.." living initially in the picturesque, but cold in winter, Moret-sur-Loing, until new NATO married quarters were built in Fontainebleau itself.

I could write more about him, and Fontainebleau, but this is not the place for it!

Good luck with your project.

Allan
Old 14th January 2013, 17:03
Alter Hase

Hi Allan

You may be able to answer my "30 June 1940" post, where I enquire if W/C Embry led the Blenheim raid, as suggested, or was he on his way back from France?

Cheers
Brian
Old 14th January 2013, 19:37

Hi Brian

In the chapter "Home Again" he writes "Between the beginning of May and the end of July, I had witnessed at pretty close quarters the fall of France" and from the information below it would cornfirm that he was not on the 30 June 1940 raid (I had not seen your question ref. that date) as he apparently took about 2 months to get home from being shot down on 27 May 1940.

27 May 1940

107 Squadron
Blenheim IV L9391

Failed to return from a bombing sortie to St.Omer, the aircraft was shot down near the target.

W/C B Embry and P/O T Whiting baled out and were captured. Cpl. G Lang was killed.

W/C Embry escaped v Spain and Gibraltar, leaving for the UK on 27 July 1940 arriving Plymouth 28 July 1940 on HMS Vidette. 'RAF Evaders' - by Oliver Clutton-Brock, gives the same RN vessel, but states 2 August, so still way off of your 30 June request!

Strangely enough the CWGC website shows Lang as a F/Sgt http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...FFREY%20EDWARD and his date of death as 28 May, but Embry writes "The idea of abandoning the aeroplane with him still in it, even although dead, was contrary to all my instincts, but what was to be done?"

"Mission Completed" is finally dedicated to "and Corporal Lang"

see also http://www.fontainebleauveteransasso.../embry-bio.htm

Allan
Old 14th January 2013, 19:53
Alter Hase

Excellent, Alan

Many thanks
Brian