Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd March 2019, 12:41

stevenbhol is on a distinguished road
The staffing of Rommel in July 1944

Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum

I'm planning a trip to Normandy in June for the anniversary. About a week ago I was surfing the net for sites to visit in the Normandy area, and came across a tour website that showed the site where Rommel was strafed by an allied airplane.

Attachment 17777

I was unaware of this incident, and started digging some more. Looks like a Richthofen, Wittmann who done it cluster. Half dozen pilots given, or taken credit for the attack. I found another forum that had lots of info. I found this photo of a Lt. Harold O Miller that was given credit in a news paper in Dec of 44.

Attachment 17779

And this clip of his attack.

First thing I noticed was the absence of the bend in the road after the attack. So, I got on google maps and found this spot about a mile an a half out of Vivarot.

Attachment 17781

The map matches the footage of Miller's attack. You can see the 2 farm houses, the bend in the road, pitch forked road, and hill in the background when he rolls out of the attack. It's definitely a opened top Horch he's attacking.

I have a couple of questions, and points:

Is the July 17 date set in stone, or came to be because it matched another pilots claim? Miller's attack took place on the 24th.

I was able to find some of Lang's account, but not all of it. He also returned to the site in the 70's. He claims the attack took place closer to Vivarot, not Viemoutiers, unlike the gated lodge which is just outside Viemoutiers. I think he also named the river Vie by name which is in the google map I posted.

Does anyone have Lang's, or Hulke's account right after the staffing, or magazine article of when he returned in the 70's?

There were some claims that a US P-47 got him, but then the Germans said it was a Spitfire. The 352 Sq that Miller was assigned to transitioned from Jugs to Mustangs March of that year. I found a Pic of Miller, and his ride.

Attachment 17780

I doubt the Germans could tell the difference with a front on rear attack. Both had the RR Merlin, so they sounded the same.

Last point, I think the damage to the car, and injury's are also consistent with a rear 50 caliber attack like Miller's just down the left side of the car. Charlie Fox's interview on Youtube, he claimed you never attack from the rear on a road. I think a 20mm cannon shell from a Spitfire would have done much more damage, especially if attacked from the side.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

TIA

Steven
Old 23rd March 2019, 20:56
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: The staffing of Rommel in July 1944

I think the date of the attack was July 17. Here is an article you may find of interest.

https://thejns.org/focus/downloadpdf...rticle-pE8.xml
Old 24th March 2019, 21:21

rof120 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenbhol View Post
Both had the RR Merlin, so they sounded the same.

- Don't be so sure. The airframe has an influence on the aircraft noise.

Please note the correct names of villages or towns: Vimoutiers, Livarot.

I heard that a Leroux (South-African?) flying a Spit was the pilot involved. I wasn't there…

PS: strafing not staffing

Last edited by rof120; 24th March 2019 at 23:53. Reason: PS
Old 24th March 2019, 23:01

ashley356 is on a distinguished road

The 352nd Fighter Squadron did not convert to P-51's until October 1944, I suspect you are confusing it with the 352nd Fighter Group who did convert to Mustangs in early 1944. Lt Harold O Miller would therefore have been flying a P-47 in July 1944.

To confuse matters further there were actually two Harold Miller's in the 352FS, the Mustang in the photo was assigned to the 'other' one who did not join the squadron until January 1945.
Old 25th March 2019, 01:07
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Research has Charlie Fox (RCAF 412 Sqd) being the pilot that shot up Rommel.

https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/a...ho-shot-rommel
Old 31st March 2019, 13:52

Allan125 is on a distinguished road

Research also suggests 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron, part of 125 Wing, based at B.11 Longues-sur-Mer, led by the South African S/Ldr J J Le Roux.

Allan
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:35
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

I will hijack a little this thread, but only to give it a more global approach. While the question "who strafed Rommel?" pops up regularly, I don't remember reading anything of efforts to identify who attacked other German officers being strafed/killed by Allied aircraft. I have two examples coming to mind: Marshal Von Bock fatally wounded on 3 May 1945 (as far as I know the highest rank ever killed by an air attack) and the attack on a MAS off Yalta by Soviet fighters on 3 June 1942. Aboard was Manstein and if he escaped unhurt his driver was killed among other.

Best regards
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:31
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan125 View Post
Research also suggests 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron, part of 125 Wing, based at B.11 Longues-sur-Mer, led by the South African S/Ldr J J Le Roux.

Allan
Did you read the article in the link posted Allan?
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:53

Allan125 is on a distinguished road

Hello Kutscha

Yes, I did, it's a good article - why do you mention it?

Rof120 briefly mentioned J J Le Roux, but not the Squadron and Wing deemed by some to be involved.

I have a personal interest as my late father was part of 125 Wing at that time, but not in a flying role, hence my interest.

cheers

Allan
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:57
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Ah, OK I see but 602 was on the ground when Rommel was attacked.