Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th May 2014, 19:15

NoNo01 is on a distinguished road
Target England true or fictitious

Hello friends,

ran into this book by Edmund Blanford published in 1997.
It tells the story of the battle of Britain as from the German point of view. There are a lot of storys from various protagonists, mostly not so popular aircrew from all branches (KG, JG, StG). Around 20 names apear again and again in the book. But apart from Rudel and Fink (which are quite known) i cant find any of the other names (Internet, The blitz then and now; 3 volumes).
Anyone around who knows the book ??
Is this book fictious or did Blanford, to what ever reason, just change the names of the participants ? Or is it completely imaginary ?

Any thoughts ??

Schoene Gruesze

Norbert
Old 12th May 2014, 19:36
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Re: Target England true or fictitious

Norbert, I had the same problem when the book came out, I wrote to the publishers and they fowarded my letter to Mr.Blandford. As I remember in his reply he indicated the book was based on his wartime notes and reports and the incidents as described did happen. From this I believe he just added a German name to an incident as German aircrew would not have been available to him in the war. In his letter he did say that he half expected some expert to query some aspects of the book (dig at me ?). Although the book was a good read I was put off by names and incidents that I could not link to,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 12th May 2014, 23:02

NoNo01 is on a distinguished road

Hello Brian,

i see. I was suspecting something like this.
As You mentioned, a good read, but i prefer to have a traceable connection to reality.

Thank You and good night (at least here in Austria)

Norbert
Old 7th August 2023, 17:40

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bines View Post
Norbert, I had the same problem when the book came out, I wrote to the publishers and they fowarded my letter to Mr.Blandford. As I remember in his reply he indicated the book was based on his wartime notes and reports and the incidents as described did happen. From this I believe he just added a German name to an incident as German aircrew would not have been available to him in the war. In his letter he did say that he half expected some expert to query some aspects of the book (dig at me ?). Although the book was a good read I was put off by names and incidents that I could not link to,

Regards

Brian Bines
What were his 'wartime notes'? Was he in Air Intelligence?

'I believe he just added a German name to an incident as German aircrew would not have been available to him in the war.' Please elaborate?

Thanks.
Old 7th August 2023, 20:00
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Guess we will never know for sure as the author is no longer alive