Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th July 2018, 10:33
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Peter Duttmann vs "panzer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Kuznetsov View Post
Hello Martin,

Haven't the whole picture but both sides on the East had used the manned observation balloons up to Nov.1944 at least.

Best regards,
Andrey
Very interesting
I was not aware of any manned balloons being used during WW 2 at all.

Can someone (Andrey?) expand a bit on this topic? Since balloons are more suitable whenever a front line is stable, were possibly these "balloon companies" mobile in themselves? Also balloons are usually very clumsy and time consuming to function, requiring special equipment and a large man power as well. To survive I would also say they needed a heavy defense structure as well. All in all a rather huge "investment" for comparable little gain.

So, exactly where and when were they used?

Cheers
Stig
PS: I agree with the theories that barrage balloons were not counted as victories. Manned ones? Why not?