Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd February 2014, 14:27
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Lancaster Engine Numbers

Is there something I have missed?

I just need somebody to tell me that there is (or isn't!) a reference source that ties specific RR Merlin engine numbers to specific airframes - even at just the build/delivery stage.

In the two cases I am looking at the AM78 records no engine numbers. However, a published source quotes a specific recovered engine number as being matched to a specific airframe.

I want to be sure that this is fanciful thinking before it is dismissed as such and discounted.

Is there a reference source that matches Lancaster engine numbers (at build or delivery to RAF) to airframe numbers that I don't know about?? That is, aside from the AM78 forms which are not helpful, anyway?

Clarification of this point will greatly assist a family in researching the loss of close kin.
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:34
Alter Hase

HGabor has a spectacular aura aboutHGabor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lancaster Engine Numbers

...and let me add Wellington X.s too. Crew of LP732 eg. was identified by engines: Hercules XVI., S.24457 and S.S.28031, but how, and from what records?
Thanks,

Gabor
Old 4th February 2014, 20:13
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Andy,

Tried to PM you but your postbox is full.

So, I placed a question on this site -

http://www.iphpbb.com/board/fs-81805422nx79380.html

Perhaps you can join in ?

Alex
Old 4th February 2014, 23:04

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Saunders View Post

In the two cases I am looking at the AM78 records no engine numbers. However, a published source quotes a specific recovered engine number as being matched to a specific airframe.
Hello Andy

Perhaps the author found a 765(c) or C of I Form which have engine numbers listed, some in AVIA 5 too, but I expect you have seen all those before. One chap on the Forum managed to get 765(c) information from the AHB.

There seems to be a few manuals in AIR 10 and documents for a "Lancaster" with "Engine*" search, normally standard manuals though. But I once found a printed WW2 Cyclone Engine manual in the "DR" class with some additional typed sheets stapled in, with a history and problems of the engine.

There are some files in AVIA 15 relating to particular engine types installed in certain aircraft, perhaps the author got lucky and found a list?

I think I have seen the odd Loss Card with an engine/s number on it?

The no engine number/s on the AM1180 and AM78 is a problem, especially when you find references to faulty engine batch numbers in AM or AVIA files!

Mark
Old 5th February 2014, 00:41
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

Andy I have a Navy Cas Signal from 1939 incident it listed the engines of the swordfish involved. It was part of standard Casualty report and same signal used by the RAF

Paul
Old 9th February 2014, 00:13
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for this helpful input.