Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th June 2018, 12:52
Alter Hase

steve sheridan
Junkers 88A Stammkennzeichen BI+N* series 1940.

Hi, could anybody help with clues to the werknummer of Ju88A series BI+N*.
I'm aware of BI+NF and BI+NM from the LEMB stkz webpage listings, however from a recent flugbuch I acquired I have also found the following:
BI+NL,
BI+NU,
BI+NY.

These all come from 9/KG4 flugbuch dated between April and May 1940.
Any help would be appreciated.
Best regs,
Steve.
Old 20th June 2018, 13:33
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Junkers 88A Stammkennzeichen BI+N* series 1940.

Yes, these were Ju 88 A-1s to 3187 then A-5s. I do not have all confirmed - but have managed sort these ranges conflict free so far - and some are confirmed - but most likely they were in large sequence, where first the second letter and then third changed: 3017 BI+NA, 3043 BJ+NA, 3069 BK+NA, 3095 BL+NA, with ND+BA starting 3101, followed by ND+C, ND+D, ND+E to 3204. When finding BJ+ or BI+ go by W.Nr. (Krausse), then everything straightens out. Additionally photos of some W.Nrs and codes support this sequences, but they were not unique but one of the largest.

I dont intend answer many such queries. Has taken awful lot of time sort out over 14-15.000 examples.

Last edited by edNorth; 21st June 2018 at 04:27. Reason: tyop
Old 20th June 2018, 17:55

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

I cannot help with the individual Stkz to Steve's question but thanks to Ed for the Stkz/W/Nr additions but I have them finishing at ND+EV at W/Nr 3200. Then starting at 3201 with PI+GC to GZ.
Can anybody else confirm? Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 17:58
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Has taken awful lot of time sort out over 14-15.000 examples.
That's certainly impressive, what do you plan to do with the information?
Old 20th June 2018, 23:04
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi ed, I'm very grateful to you for sharing this information, this really helps.
I can now pair up W.Nr's to the Stkz codes I have.

I just have one question, BL+NA W.Nr.3096 did this go up to BL+NE W.Nr.3100 ?

Best regs,
Steve.
Old 21st June 2018, 04:26
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
That's certainly impressive, what do you plan to do with the information?
Like life, have fun.

Steve, The Stkz. block breaks are often difficult to verify. So I never say or never comment. Answer may be wrong. Question can be wrong.
Have edited 3095 as BL+NA/+NF. but thats just my version. Others can have theirs. Who will be judge?

Many versions oft "popular" Stkz. blocks exist, and often typos skew the picture. As rule of thumb, I begin at "Z" (meaning last individual letter) and do actual list-count backwards and/or forward, untill hit by "known" (rather than begin at A, because of a little apparent fact, blocks issue often seem have started at A - some individual or unknown random firsts can have landed (already) elsewhere -except if proven next block starts before reachung Z, then I end next to that, logically - but I actually list every plane with W.Nr., with plain text info from GQM, other, found etc, and then (first) list Stkz., fact or interpolated.

Rather than registering just stkz blocks, like some (Wills) does (or I think he does so). I plot actual each and every Ju 88, from 0001 to 9999, and list if Sktz. is actually confirmed by Boldface it, but inside (like default) [XX+NZ] if interpolated. But I long time since have found out where W.Nr. ranges end and were the blanks are. Individual Stkz. or blocks need fit these, not other way around, but I also have some split blocks and not necessisary in correct A-Z order. And in some extraordinary cases, individual letters seem omitted from blocks (may have landed elsewhere as singular). In one case W.Nrs seem have been assigned, Stkz assigned, but then range running over (splitting new block) at later date. But also Stkz. blocks jump over blanks! But having rules and follow certain lines, I manage. But as ever, 1939 Stkz and regs often are nowhere to be found, except odd logs.

Last edited by edNorth; 21st June 2018 at 15:57. Reason: "process" used clarified.