Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th July 2008, 00:59
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Need help to ID Flugbuchs of Walter Poland (unit unknown) and FNU Voget (II./JG3) in 1940

Hello,

A while back I obtained a large number of Flugbuchs of fighter pilots that included two Bf109 pilots that flew missions in 1940 that I'm trying to identify. I'm seeking the full name, ranks and units of "Walter Poland" (only a type-written summary of his missions--flew mission to Rotterdam on 10.5.40), a FB by a 109 pilot named "Voget," who appears to have flown with II./JG3 during the FC and Battle of Britain. This is not Oblt. Werner Voight, as the handwriting is very clear and he continues on after Voight, who was 4 Staffel Kap, was shot down and POW on 8.10.40. I checked ahead to the Russian Campaign and I find no one with that last name scoring victories in Russia with II./JG3, at least in the early days.

Does anyone know these guys and/or can help provide some clues to get their FBs recorded accurately in my FB data base?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:49
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Need help to ID Flugbuchs of Walter Poland (unit unknown) and FNU Voget (II./JG3) in 1940

Hello,

Thanks to an e-mail from Rob van den Nieuwendijk, I now know that the Voget FB is from Fw-Ofw Hans Voget of 4./JG3. He was apparently with II./JG3 from its formation until at least 2/41, and then appears to have gone into night fighters, as he began flying Bf109s with "G9" codes fairly often after that.

Voget ususally flew "White 6" from 4./JG3 during the French Campaign and Battle of Britain periods. If anyone has, or is aware of any photos of his "White 6" during this period, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have one of "White 6" from the spring of 1940, but without the II. Gr insignia. However, I'm now looking for others now that we have his aircraft number identified. I'd especially appreciate a photo of his aircraft with the II Gr insignia, and the added mottled effect added to II./JG3 a/c for the Battle of Britain.

So now all I need is info on Walter Poland, and the index of about 150 Luftwaffe FB we have for the 1939-40 period will be reasonably complete. I'm most interested in exchanging FB with others who have them from that period as reference material for the "Eagles over Europe" project, which is projected to tell the definitive history of the air war during 1939-1940.

Regards,
Old 19th July 2008, 04:19

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help to ID Flugbuchs of Walter Poland (unit unknown) and FNU Voget (II./JG3) in 1940

Larry, my uncle was with 4. Staffel during the FC, I'll check my records for any info on your man. Rob is definitely the "go-to" guy on this unit.