Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st November 2009, 21:48

malcolmjameswilson is on a distinguished road
SIDNEY ERNEST ANDREWS DFM / BoB Hurricane Pilot Help Needed!

Hello Everyone,

"Those Other Eagles" by Christopher Shores credits Andrews with a Do 17 destroyed and another damaged on 8 September 1940 with 32 Squadron. He is also credited with a BR 20 shared on 11 November now with 257 Squadron.

When I cross reference this information with RAF Fighter Claims of WW2 by John Foreman I can find no reference to the first two claims.

I have also tried a search for Combat Reports online with the NA – again with no success.

Can anyone help with these claims. It could be as simple as me not being able to see what is in front of me – it has happened before!

Also any further help regarding Andrews would be most appreciated.

He commanded 605 Squadron in Malta during 1941/42. Shot down by a BF109 on 20 December 1941 and rescued. In February 1942 he was involved in an 'incident' in a Valetta night club and relieved of his command. Posted to Eqypt he was killed in a flying accident with 3 Aircraft MU on 9 August 1942.

Any offers of help will be most welcome!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 2nd November 2009, 04:40

chuckschmitz is on a distinguished road
Re: SIDNEY ERNEST ANDREWS DFM / BoB Hurricane Pilot Help Needed!

In Mason's Battle Over Britian it shows S. E. Andrews with a shared kill of the BR 20 on 11.11.40. There is nothing for the 8 September claims. However there was a Sgt. Andrews of 46 Squadron credited with a DO-17 Z-1 (3415: U5+LN). 46Sq. also had a claim for damage on another D0-17 that same day.
Andrews was posted to 257 Squadron on 22.9.40.
Old 2nd November 2009, 08:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Chuck: I would not refer to Mason as the most accurate of sources-there are other publications which are more accurate such as BofB T&T and Fighter Command war Diaries to name just 2
Old 2nd November 2009, 09:52

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Sgt ANDREW was with No.46 Squadron on September 8, 1940, not No.32 Squadron. In action over the Thames Estuary around 12.15 hours he claimed one Do215 and another damaged before returning with Cat.2 damage to his aircraft P3525. I reached the same conclusion as Mason (as quoted by Chuck) and have the Dornier as follows:

5./KG2 Dornier Do 17Z-3 (3415). Engaged by Hurricanes of Nos. 46 and 605 Squadrons during sortie to London Docks and exploded shortly after crash-landing at Rose Farm, Broomfield, 12.40 p.m. Believed that attacked by Sgt S. Andrew of No.46 Squadron. FF Oberlt Martin Ziems believed baled out but killed, BO Uffz Heino Flick, BF Uffz Wilhelm Trost, and BS Uffz Wilhelm Selter also killed. Aircraft U5+LN 100% write-off.
Two crewmen are believed to have baled out prior to the crash, one falling dead at Clarks Hill, the other falling in the River Len off Broomfield Road. Due to the nature of this crash and the wide area over which wreckage was strewn, the authorities were only able to identify the remains of Martin Ziems who was buried in Maidstone Cemetery. What little was found of the rest of the crew was buried as two ‘Unknown German Airmen’ in St Margaret’s churchyard at Broomfield. Site excavated by Shoreham Aircraft Preservation Society in July 1992 when ten unexploded bombs discovered along with remains of Bramo Fafnir engines.

Old 2nd November 2009, 19:40

malcolmjameswilson is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for your replies which will prove very helpful as I try to unravel what is probably a very simple problem!

Sydney Ernest Andrews father was John Andrews and he was born in 1886 in Worcester. He married Edith Annie Mash, emigrating to Canada in 1901 living at 163 Elgin Drive, Winnipeg. Following John Andrews death his widow and two sons – including, I presume, Sydney returned to England. They resided at 3, Poplar Villas, Hillingdon Heath. Middlesex.

Would this suggest that Sydney was therefore a Canadian citizen?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:29

JohnE

The Sgt claiming a Do17 in P3525 on September 8th was Stanley Andrew (740169) of 46 Sq.

/John
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:18

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Yes, different men. Sgt S. ANDREW of No.46 Squadron (KIA 11.9.40) & P/O S.E. ANDREWS of No.32 & 257 Squadrons.