Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th June 2006, 23:52

MikeFox is on a distinguished road
Soviet Fighter Pilots

Hello,

I am seeking some (any) data on the following 2 Soviet fighter pilots during WW2 who flew against Finland.

On 2 May 1943, Finn ace Iikka Torronen was shot down over Oranienbaum. The Soviet victor, according to my sources, was a staff sergeant flying a LaGG-3 from 10.GIAP. The name I have is Kutsherenko. I was wondering if this Soviet pilot was in fact the little known N. Y. Kutsenko? My sources have next to nothing on this reputedly high scoring ace (33 kills of which 13 were shared).

The next Soviet pilot I'm interested in is Mikhail M. Zelenov. Another high scoring ace with 34 kills he was reportedly shot down on 29 June 1944 near Viirpuri (Vyborg). My question is who brought down this renowned ace? Was it a Finn or a German from Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey?

Any light shed on these questions would be most appreciated!

Mike
Old 30th June 2006, 14:10

Andrey Dikov
Re: Soviet Fighter Pilots

>On 2 May 1943, Finn ace Iikka Torronen was shot down over Oranienbaum. The Soviet victor, according to my sources, was a staff sergeant flying a LaGG-3 from 10.GIAP. The name I have is Kutsherenko.

Kucherenko piloted I-153. His claim (MS-406) - 10-12 km north-east of Lavansaari. That was a shared victory with a St.Sgt. Rozov.

In the same mission another three claims were claimed - mostly north-west of Lavansaari by LaGGs and I-16s (1 Me-109, 1 BW, 1 Fiat G.50).

> I was wondering if this Soviet pilot was in fact the little known N. Y. Kutsenko?

Who is him?

> My sources have next to nothing on this reputedly high scoring ace (33 kills of which 13 were shared).

Never heard.

Andrey
Old 30th June 2006, 23:49

MikeFox is on a distinguished road

Hello Andrey,

My source for N. Y. Kutsenko is "Stalin's Falcons" by Tomas Polak and I quote - "Little is known of this reputedly quite high scoring pilot, said to have claimed 33 victories (13 shared) during the Great Patriotic War." I searched the net for him and a few sites mention him but provide no good data. "Stalin's Eagles" by Seidl, my other primary source on Soviet pilots, has absolutely nothing on Kutsenko. I find it hard to believe that such a successful pilot is so little known.

Thanks for the info on the Torronen combat.

Mike
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:28

Andrey Dikov

Just throw away the "Stalin Falcons". Pure junk.

Andrey
Old 6th July 2006, 18:21
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrei, how do you rate Hans Seidl´s "Stalin´s Eagles"? I´d assume it is better than the other Stalin´s birds book...